What are your thoughts on furloughs?

I live in NYS and all state employees (except public safety) will most likely be subjected to furloughs beginning the week of May 17. The will be required to take one day off per week with no pay.

My husband is a state employee, so I'm certainly not objective in this situation, but this just seems soooo wrong to me. How can people be expected to pay their bills and feed their families when they're taking away nearly 1/4 of the household monthly income?

IDK what will happen, and I'm sure the union will fight it, but in the mean time we're all getting screwed. NICE!

Dawn4175

Asked by Dawn4175 at 8:49 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• *shrug* My company (which is an int'l fortune 500 one) required ALL employees to take one weeks furlough each quarter. From the receptionists all the way up to the CEO. We were able to collect unemployment for that week because of the state I live in. Personally, I'd much rather take a furlough than be let go.
    Anonymous

• my grandmother is also a NYS employee and I think it's a bunch of crap. They're paying the legislators to be there 5 days a week to accomplish nothing on top of their regular pay? Screw that. How about they sit there until they reach a budget WITHOUT pay! Patterson has done enough to screw over NYers. Get that man out of office and get someone in with a brain!
    Anonymous

• CA state employees have been doing furlough Fridays for about year now (maybe more). I believe 1 a month for each employee is mandated. Really eases the commute traffic on Fridays.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:07 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Well, it's happening to the post office, they'll be losing a day if things happen as planned & that includes my husband. Such is life.
    Anonymous

• One day a month I could handle, but one day a pay period seems a bit excessive. Especially when you add it to the fact that they've already been denied their contracted raises for the year. It's nearly a weeks pay every month. Honestly, the state barely pays enough to survive as it is. It will be impossible to get by with the furloughs.
    Dawn4175

Answer by Dawn4175 at 9:12 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Think of it this way, would you rather your husband lose 1/4 of his salary or ALL of it because he no longer HAS a job. It's a small sacrifice to make to bring home a paycheck. If you are going to miss the income that much then it's time to get a PT job to bring the lost amount of money in OR for your husband to get a job on that Friday to pick up the slack if your staying home important. You do what you have to to make it.
    Anonymous

• My husband and I BOTH lost our high paying jobs, our home, our vehicles & are living with my sister in law and her family. We're working but at jobs that pay 1/2 (combined) of what ONE of us were making per year. I would have GLADLY taken 1 day a week/4 days a month less pay and STILL have my home, vehicles and not have to be living with anyone else. So, please, remember that you are fortunate with even 4 days a month less pay. It COULD be MUCH worse!
    Anonymous

• So, please, remember that you are fortunate with even 4 days a month less pay. It COULD be MUCH worse!

You are absolutely right! Thanks for the reminder. :o)

Just frustrated I guess.
    Dawn4175

Answer by Dawn4175 at 10:30 PM on May. 6, 2010

Yeah, that's one road that I am not looking forward to taking.........

To the OP........I hope for the best for you and your family.
    Anonymous

• I think it's sad that it's come to that. States are broke and desperate measures have to be taken.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 10:31 PM on May. 6, 2010