If you nurse your toddler and you have night weaned, how did you do it?

My son is 27 months and nurses to bed and in the night (2-4 times depending) but I am ready to night wean him since I have another on the way. I am the ONLY one who can put him to bed an night with any ease so I'm looking for people who have this shared experience. The key thing here is that we need my DH to be able to get him to sleep!
Any suggestions? I know it will take time and be horrible :(

boomamma

Asked by boomamma at 9:00 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had to let her cry (but only a little). The first thing I did was adjust her bedtime, I happened to read that at her age they should be going to bed between 5:30 to 7pm and she had been going to bed at around 9pm, by that time their brain releases a chemical that actually makes it harder to go to sleep and stay asleep. Then we started a strict routine, dinner, quiet play time, book, nursing, bath then bed. No nursing right before bed. During the whole process I told her over and over we were getting ready for bed and then when I laid her down for the first few nights like that I stayed by her and rubbed her back and sang her favorite song to her until she quieted down. After a few nights like that I laid her down and walked out, she cried a little and if it lasted longer than 10 minutes I went back in and stayed for a bit. In the middle of the night I hugged her and rubbed her back and let her whine a little because (cont:)
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 9:09 PM on May. 6, 2010

• obviously she was used to nursing back to sleep then and wanted to and I wouldn't let her. I just kept up the back rubs and the singing and she would quiet right back down and go back to sleep. So basically we did sleep training with her and it worked and was a LOT easier than I thought it was going to be. It took about a week before there were practically no more tears and we've had almost complete peace at night for the last 3 months. (she's 26 months btw)
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 9:11 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I think it was an article I read from Dr Sears? But it recommended choosing 5 hours straight that you want to sleep. I chose to sleep from 12-5. Anytime my LO would wake between those hours, I would just say no. After one week of crying and just refusing, or sending my husband, she stopped waking between those hours. She would wake at 11pm, and 5:02 every morning, but eventually I spread my window out to 7 hours, and then 9. A toddler doesn't need the nourishment throughout the night. Its just routine comfort.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 9:56 PM on May. 6, 2010