What to do about my 10 year old son still having bathroom accidents?

My son is 10 years old and he still has a problem wetting the bed at night. During the day it's not an issue. And up until about 2 years ago when we moved into a new house, he never had the problem before. Also, he has regular bowel movements every morning, but in the late afternoon/early evening, he occassionally has a bowel movement in his underpants and goes around with it until someone notices. He's says he's just being lazy and it too preoccupied to go. I've tried reminding him to go when he gets home from school and either he does or lies and says he does, then has as accident. It seems to not bother him, but the smell and constant need to do laundry and scrub the tub is driving me crazy! I need some advice!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Talk to a doctor.
    Anonymous

• You need to take him to the Dr! He has incontinence, whether it is laziness or a physical problem, either way, as he is heading into high school years, it is important that it is investigated properly. Ignore his protests and embarrassment at the Drs, you need to play the "I am your mopther" card.There is a nasal spray that can control the bed wetting, and he needs investigating for the bowel motions. If nothing else, threats from the Dr to go exploring should put an end to the laziness if that really is the issue
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 9:22 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Take him to the doctor.
    My cousin had that problem until he was 14. He was diagnosed with mild Autism.
    He would become too preoccupied with whatever it was that he was doing to go to the bathroom. He would just run around like it was no big deal to have crap in his pants.And yes..he did that at 14! He is 15 now and although he's on meds,he still has the occassional accident.
    We took him camping with us last summer and he was running around with all the other teens and he was stinking it up. I had to take him aside and MAKE him change clothes and clean himself.
    Anonymous

• I had the bladder problem when I was a kid and needed the nasal spray. It worked very well for me. I just had a weak bladder and it only happened at night. Idk what to say about the poop other than take him to a doctor and really play the i'm your mother card.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 9:52 PM on May. 6, 2010

• My first concern is if he has some kind of mental disorder or mental delay. While there could be an explanation for the bed wetting at night (which is not very uncommon) for him to be pooping his pants during the day, knowing about it, and not caring sounds very off to me. At 10 years old, he should at least realize that he has to go poop before he goes, since he probably has to push a little to get it out, and should be thinking clearly enough to get to a bathroom. And even if he did end up having an accident, he should be caring enough to at least do something about it. I would def. take him to a doctor and have them run some tests, including some mental evaluations.
    Anonymous

• It could possibly be encopresis which is a physical/mental condition that children develop, usually due to stress which would make sense because this started during a "stressful" time in your life (your move). I would at least check into this.
    Anonymous

• Encopresis!!
    Anonymous

• I would take him to the doctor. It could be a mental delay, a physical problem or it could be that he has suffered sexual abuse and hasn't told you. I know you don't want to hear this but with a lot of children who have been sexually abused the children have restroom issues. If it happened right when you moved into your house theres always the chance that a neighbor or someone has been or did assault him and he is scared to tell you. My sisters son had this happen and she didn't take him to the doctor until he was thirteen for it. By then he had the coach at his school molesting him for four years already. Please just ask. I'm sure its not the problem but it could be and its worth investigating.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Whatever anon,I was molested and I never experienced " restroom issues" .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on May. 11, 2010