how many hours can you devote to your job when you're home with your baby?

hi there, my son soon will be 15 mo. of age. i plan on taking a job and am wondering how many hours i will realistically be able to devote to this - it is a teaching job requiring some preparation. so far i am pretty much all time of our days with my only son and i am having hard time to imagine my life after starting employment. has anyone any experiences alike or is willing to uplift, please do so and share. thanks a lot!

BabySon1

Asked by BabySon1 at 10:00 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well I am a teacher, and put my DD in daycare at 12 months of age to start a new school year. It's rough sure, but you just have to get used to a schedule. I'm the type of teacher who arrives early in the morning, so I can pick myDD up shortly after school. I get a lot done in the morning, and I take a lot of my work home. I grade papers, and do lesson plans mostly over the weekend, and after my child goes to sleep. Honestly, Lesson plans get easier and easier to do each school year. I know my DD is happy and content with where she's been the past 3 school years. She has lots of friends at day care and has picked up many new skills. Knowing she is safe and happy while I am at work, HELPS a great deal. :)

As a teacher I am fortunate to have my summers with my child, and any holidays off. That is a major benefit.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:13 PM on May. 6, 2010

• couldnt do it, he cried and cried, so now i just work at home.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:45 PM on May. 6, 2010

• You can't count on more than nap times.

Do you have a friend, relative or neighbor you can trade child care with?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:56 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I worked outside my home and my son was unhappy most of the time. I seen a huge change when I quit my job and started working from home.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 1:09 PM on May. 7, 2010