replacing central heat/air system, can't believe the price!

in 1998, I replaced my central heatpump/airconditioner system with a Janitrol unit 3.5 tons 13 SEER, for about $2000, and now it needs to be replaced!!!!
(aparently it was half a ton to big so it was coming on and off and wore out quicker)
our first bid, today is for a 3ton 15Seer Lennox heatpump air conditioner and the price is $6000!

Can this be right?! more than double in a decade? other companies still haven't returned my calls, or can't give me a quote until next week at the earliest (so we don't want them, if it takes that long to come in the sweltering heat) we live in Florida.
anyone else replacing their system (we have all the vents and the electricity)

Imamom4sure

Asked by Imamom4sure at 10:08 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• well in 12 years the value of the dollar has gone down so that creates inflation so yeah I'd say that's about right. It sounds like it's also a bit on the pricier side as well but for fast service you're gonna have to be willing to pay the extra for it.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 10:25 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Sounds right to me. We had to replace our boiler this past winter and that cost $4000. We got a good deal, too, because my dad used to sell boilers and knows what they should cost.
    Anonymous

• Contact your local Community Action Agency or Economic Opportunity Committee. They offer weatherization programs to families who qualify financially. It is a once-in-an-address type of opportunity that is available... so if your house benefited from the program before you moved in, then you won't qualify again. My family applied, and we received a new furnace, hot water heater, fridge, and blown-in insulation... free of charge! It is through the county... not sure where you live, but I have heard of others who have qualified for similar programs. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• there might be tax incentives with this purchase, as well
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 1:54 AM on May. 7, 2010

• gosh you'd think in this down market things would be more reasonable. have tried craigslist since people are ripping stuff off their foreclosed home and reselling them on craig. i heard a lady got her ac units removed from home while they were gone.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:27 PM on May. 7, 2010

• We are in FL too. Unfortunately that price is what they are going for these days. It's because we can't have units that use freon gas anymore and the new technology costs a lot more. If you can find a company that carried stock, they might have a new 'old' unit and you would be able to get it much cheaper. The problem with that is that it has been several years since things have changed, so there may not be many of those 'old' units left.
    Anonymous

• my dh got another quote today, this time its a CARRIER brand instead of Lennox, and its a $1000 cheaper for a 15 SEER heat pump /air conditioner that is 3 Tons!

we will get $1000 tax rebate.

anyway, so far, it looks like $5000 for a new unit at best. I find it very disheartening
    Imamom4sure

Answer by Imamom4sure at 12:15 AM on May. 8, 2010