Do I follow him or tell him how I feel?

Last year, my husband and I (and 3 kids) moved from an apartment and rented a house. 30 days after we moved in, the owner told us the house was going to foreclosure and we should move somewhere else soon. We instead invoked our right to stay until the lease was up, which will be the end of July. There's a new law that if you are renting a house and it goes to foreclosure, you can stay until your lease is up.
Now that it's near time to move, I've been looking at houses in our neighborhood because we don't want our daughter to switch schools again. But my husband wants us to move back into an apartment instead to save money so that we can hopefully BUY a house. Also the risk of foreclosure is small with apartments. I don't agree, I love having a house with a yard for the kids to play and don't want to move back into a closet. Apartment rent is not that much cheaper than house rent, a difference I am willing to pay.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well obviously tell him how you feel...but it's all a compromise...it's both you and your husband's lives.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:19 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I would tell him. If you don't, you run the risk of resenting him for it and that will cause numerous problems. Your logic is reasonable but you may need to look into a different neighborhood forcing your daughter to switch.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:14 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I agree with you. I have rented apartments, townhouses and homes. Currently I rent a house and with young children it is wonderful. I could never see myself moving back into an apartment if it wasn't absolutely the last option.

Tell him how you feel. Tell him this is important to you and why. You will be happier in the end if you do.
    Anonymous

• Agree not to make a move until you both agree on a location together. Then, if he wants to present you with a good apartment that he found, he can (and you might like it!) & if you want to show him a nice house that you found, you can (and who knows... he might love it!!!) Either way, it's usually easier to work from examples instead of ideas. Good luck finding something nice! :-)
    Anonymous

• There is a HUGE different in what I pay for rent for my apartment versus even the shittiest of houses out here. Boo. If there wasn't much I would sooo be in a house! I HATE not having a yard, I hate hearing so much of my neighbors, I hate the people below me complaining about my 2 year old walking to loud. wow I just thought of a ton more things so the list goes on basically. I would tell him how you feel. GL
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 10:30 PM on May. 6, 2010

• OP here
    Thanks everyone. Great advice so far. I think I am going to tell him how if we live in house, I can take in a kid or 2 to babysit (I'm a SAHM). That would earn us extra money to pay for the house. Most apartments don't allow you to babysit kids in your home.
    Anonymous

• I agree with saving for your own home.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:57 AM on May. 7, 2010