what do you say?

we are at a point now where we need to start teaching our daughter what to call her "girly area"....what do you teach your kids to say? and why? i need help!!!

Preggydyke

Asked by Preggydyke at 10:23 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hers is called her vulva and she also knows what her clitoris is. I don't teach cutsey names because these are the technical terms for the body and i would rather her know what it is and call it that than to guess exactly which part of her 'who-ha' is hurting.

with that said, I didn't tell her what each is for...she's not quite 3 yet so there's time for that discussion.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:26 PM on May. 6, 2010

• And, I know there will be someone who will comment " what if I don't want my child knowing that name and saying it at an inapppropriate time" My DD doesn't make a big deal out of it and doesn't go around saying it unless something is irritating it and it's because I don't make a big deal out of it either.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:28 PM on May. 6, 2010

• i havent been in that situation yet so im not sure but i wont be telling her the techinical name at that age. i like cutsey names for stuff like that with young kids.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:30 PM on May. 6, 2010

• My son calls his penis...penis. As for why, I figured he might as well know the correct term for it. If he decides he wants to call it a one-eyed trouser snake when he gets older, that's his choice, but at least he'll know what it's really called.

My daughter will be taught that hers is a vagina, once we get to that point.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:33 PM on May. 6, 2010

• makelineerror...you do know that the vagina is the internal part? the external is the vulva.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:37 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I agree with Jademom. I have never made up "names" for my daughter's pubic area. She knows it is her vulva, vagina, clitoris and that boys have a penis/testicals. I started teaching her this as soon as she was old enough to ask (around 2). She is 10 now and we have very open discussions about her body, puberty, sex, etc. and I honestly attribute this to the fact that I never made it a taboo subject so she is more than comfortable talking to me about anything.The way I look at it - it's simple biology. It's no different than an elbow, bellybutton, etc. They are body parts and only shameful if you make them that way.

But.....if you are totally against educating your child in this manner I did have a friend who's daughter called it her "business" because it was "her business and no one elses."
    Anonymous

• I agree with the first poster. I was taught that was my vulva from before I can remember. My oldest brother asked a lot of questions when he was very young, and I guess my mom taught him it was a "vagina". One day while visiting my grandmother, my brother (who I think was 2) pointed his thumb over his shoulder at her and asked my mom OUT LOUD "Does she have a 'pagina?" My grandma, very polite and mum about such "inappropriate" things, was so shocked! LOL!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:51 PM on May. 6, 2010

• My daugher 2 1/2 thinks she has a bottom and a butt, she knows enough for now, soon we will work on proper names, for now it's enough though
    kenzsmama

Answer by kenzsmama at 12:30 AM on May. 7, 2010

• my son calls his wee wee and my daughter calls hers a tutu
    arkncld08

Answer by arkncld08 at 1:04 AM on May. 7, 2010

• "makelineerror...you do know that the vagina is the internal part? the external is the vulva."

The point is, I'm not planning to teach her a cutesy name for it.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:25 AM on May. 7, 2010