If your vaccine choice ever hurt your child (to vax/not vax)..

-Did you chose NOT to get your child vaccinated & then they got sick with what the vaccine could have protected against?

-Have you ever got a vaccine & your child had a negative reaction to it?

Please only share your experience if you can answer with a yes. I understand there are healthy vaxed & healthy unvaxed kids out there! I am not trying to be rude, just trying to stay on topic :o)

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 10:26 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• my dh has a paralyzed oculomotor nerve from his DTaP, he is essentially blind in his right eye. we do not vaccinate our children. we have no problems with the schools. my mil feels guilty, but she was not aware of any vaccine oppositions at that time, nor did she ever think about questioning her doctor.
    injuries from illness and injuries from vaccines are both very tragic.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:26 AM on May. 7, 2010

• No, and she didn't have any side effects other than crying from the shot. She's 3 (almost)
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:29 PM on May. 6, 2010

• My 1st child, I postponed all her vacs until she was preschool age and then we slowly added one at a time. Luckily for us, she didn't get any of the bad vaccines (which were removed from the market during the time that I was postponing) The only reaction she had was a fever the day after the MMR.

My 2nd child however did have a scarier reaction. Though I don't remember right off which vaccine it was! She was pretty much on schedule and around 1 year old, after a vaccine her leg began to swell. It started RIGHT after the shot in her thigh. We had to stay in the doctors office for a couple hours to make sure she wasn't going into shock! They let us go home after the redness started clearing and the swelling went down some. She had a lump the size of a small egg on her thigh for several weeks.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:38 PM on May. 6, 2010

• No. DS is just 7 months and has had no vaccines. I and my siblings didn't have childhood vaccines and we were rarely sick and at that it was only a mild flu or the common cold.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:38 PM on May. 6, 2010

• cont...

My 3rd child has also been postponed for vaccinations. We just started playing catch up (he is 4 yo) so he can go to school in the fall. So far (knock on wood) he hasn't had any reactions.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:39 PM on May. 6, 2010

• My kids have all their shots and havent had any reactions
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 10:44 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I had a reaction to the MMR that put me in the hospital for 6 weeks with tubes in my head and all sorts of bad stuff. The doctors were shocked I lived through it. My mom selectively vaxed us from that point forward. I have NEVER received a DTaP. My little brother did get pertussis and both my sister and I lived in the house with him while he had it. We were not vaxed against it. We did not get sick from him.

Vaccines are not required for schools or universities. You can file an exemption.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:14 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Vaccines are not required for schools or universities. You can file an exemption.

LOL, good luck with that! Some States are far tougher than others, I suspect, because it is really really really hard to get an exemption where I live!! (I tried!!)

Anonymous

• My oldest had soreness in her leg and a fever as what I think was a reaction ot her DTap shot. But she was fine after 24 hours. After doing a lot of medical research I continued on the starndard vaccine schedule for her and for my other two and we've had no problems..
    Anonymous

• My son is on a delayed vaccine schedule. He received the DTAP and HIB vaccine on tuesday. That evening he started developing a rash (which is not unusual for him due to an egg allergy) however it is not going away. I have a feeling it is from one of those vaccines. I am so mad at myself for allowing him to get both at once.
    mommaboudreaux

Answer by mommaboudreaux at 3:52 AM on May. 7, 2010