Would it be okay to give him a little milk?

My son is almost 11mths and I was wondering if it would be okay to do half formula and half milk for his nighttime bottle. He used to sleep all through the night but recently he has been waking up 1-2x a night, drinking a bottle and going right back to sleep. So it seems he's not getting full enough off only formula so I want to add milk but I know your not supposed to give them cows milk until their a year old. Would it hurt him or cause any problems with his tummy? Thanks in advance ladies!

momluvsmiles

Asked by momluvsmiles at 10:41 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Right now is a good time to start introducing milk, in small quantities, but don't do it in a bottle do it in a cup, this will help if you are intending to bottle break anytime soon.

As to the waking at night, it is very normal for little ones to come in and out of it, especially if there is a growth spurt happening. As one mom suggested try giving a little water or unsweetened tea and see if it is thirst versus hunger.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:00 AM on May. 7, 2010

• My DD couldn't handle whole milk...she went almost immediately to 2%. If you are going to try cow milk, I would do it during the day so that you can monitor any reactions he has.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:42 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Oh, and if he's hungry, have you started solids? If not, I would do that too. One thing to keep in mind is that even when a child starts to sleep thru the night, it doesn't mean that they will always sleep thru it. At 18 months, DD went almost 4 months waking up 2-3 times a night and then went back to all night. It's probably a phase.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:44 PM on May. 6, 2010

• My daughter didn't transition well. I honestly think cow's milk is just hard on stomachs. Maybe try a soy milk as an alternative, it's more gentle.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the pp.He needs solid foods and snacks but yes it is time for the gradual switch to milk good luck.....My son did amazing and we started the swith at about 11 months !!!!
    lendales_mommi

Answer by lendales_mommi at 10:46 PM on May. 6, 2010

• OP here-yes he is on solids already but he at night night he ONLY wants a bottle. I have tried feeding him food and then giving him a small bottle afterward but he refuses to eat any solids when he's tired. Any other time I have no problems getting him to eat.
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 11:04 PM on May. 6, 2010

• The cow's milk might just wake him MORE. His current waking is pretty normal...and will change again.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:03 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I mixed 3 oz of formula with 3 oz of goat milk ever since my baby was 9 months old. (That's when I ran out of breast milk). No issues here. She is 11 months now and doesn't wake up at night more than once a week. This is her menu: 9 am - solids, 11 am - milk, 1 pm - solids, 3 pm - milk, 7 pm - solids, 9 pm - milk.
    My first baby is on goat milk since the day he turned one. Never had any problems, rarely sick. He is 2 and a half now.
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 12:53 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Two more tips: 1. have some water/tea in a bottle by the baby's bed and see if that helps. Maybe he's just thirsty and doesn't really want food. 2. When you get to the point of giving milk, please research the difference between type A1 and A2 milks, here is a good article to start with: http://www.naturalnews.com/026684_cows_diabetes_casein.html

cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 12:56 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Dairy is an allergy trigger food and should not be introduced before baby's first birthday.

Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 6:59 AM on May. 7, 2010