Do vaccines change names over time, or am I just stupid!

Chicken Pox... Now being called Varicella at the Dr.s office...
Polio .. Now called IPV

There are more that i cant think of right now..
Am I just stupid for not being able to keep up with this?
Is this a way to confuse us?
Im just so frustrated when looking over my daughters chart that I cant understand & get so confused over what is what!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Most doctors will "simplify" things for you if you ask them. The main way you should communicate with your doctor (or his staff) is by meeting with them, talking with them, e-mailing them and asking the questions you have. You shouldn't depend on medical records not intended to explain things to laypeople as your main form of communication. The main purpose of medical records is for other medical personal and to maintain accuracy. To ask doctors offices to maintain two sets of records - one "simplified" for parents and the other accurate for medical personal would increase the chances that there will be an error. As the parent you have the responsiblity to ask the questions and maintain the records that you need to keep up on things. You and your doctor should work together - express your concerns and questions and give them a chance to help you understand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on May. 9, 2010

• You mean you can actually read what they write? I have to ask "What is this supposed to say" each time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:02 PM on May. 6, 2010

• No, they're not changing the name. There's the medical term and then there's what the general public calls something. Like the general public calls it "chicken pox" but the actual medical term is Varicella. They're the same thing - but the doctor uses the correct medical term for records and such. Also there are different types of polio vaccines - IPV is only one of them. So IPV tells you specifically which polio vaccine you was given. So it's not about trying to cofuse you it's about making sure the medical records are accurate so that other physicians looking at it understand what vaccines your daughter has received. The records are generally meant for other medical professionals (not so much for the general public) so they'll use medical terms and jargon. You should feel comfortable asking your peditrician to explain anything you don't understand.
    Anonymous

• I understand the medical side can be confusing since its in Dr. lingo & its important they get it right....
    But 1. These are records WE as the parents have to figure out on ourselves sometimes especially if we dont want to go the "norma vax" route & want to delay... 2. You would think Drs would simplify things for us so we can understand things better (on our side of the records, orally in the dr.s office & the paper trail WE KEEP, We are not the only ones that keep a copy of our childrens records.. This is OUR child they are shoot up!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Doctors and simplification? Not in this world, I'm afraid!

Answer by gdiamante at 6:26 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Anon 11:15 has it right. If you don't understand the vax, ask the doctor to tell you what it is in laymen terms and write it out yourself. A medical facility will NEVER make two separate sets of medical records and guidelines are very specific regarding medical terminology used in official medical reports.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 4:12 PM on May. 10, 2010

• The terminology that they use that you will come in contact does change. Of course the Varicella Vaccine will have always BEEN the varicella vaccine- but they didn't always refer to it as that in front of parents. I always knew it as the chicken pox vaccine because that was what my sisters pedi refered to it as, and what was written on all her paper work. When I took my son to the same office (different dr.) he told me I would need to get my sons Varicella vaccine and I was stumped!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 9:06 PM on May. 10, 2010