I got a paddling request form???

At my daughter's new school in new state. I was supervised to see a discipline form in the packet. Asking whether or not I want them to paddle her. What is your take? (Have not signed it yet.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on May. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would not consent to another adult paddling my child. Quite frankly, I don't think I could trust some people that I barely know with that type of discipline.... Because if I ever saw a bruise or any other indication that they took it too far, I would be going to jail for murder.
    If they have that bad of an issue with my child, then they need to contact me anyway. So when they do, I will deal with it!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 11:46 PM on May. 6, 2010

• No way!!!!
    Anonymous

• While I understand discipline at school is necessary, them hitting my child is not. If I choose to paddle, it will be me and under my terms, not at a school. I got paddled at school when I was in 1st grade because I mis-understood the directions I was given and did the opposite. i will not do that to my child.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:06 PM on May. 6, 2010

• BTW, I thought that spanking your child was illegal or is that a state to state thing?
    Jademom07

• I don't know any states where spanking is illegal Jade.

To the OP, no way would I ever allow the school to paddle my child. Like Jade said, discipline at school is necessary but I would not trust another person to take physcially discipling of my child into their own hands. As a parent you have a right to punish your child (within reason) for an action you believe was wrong, and I think MOST parents who spank, don't do so in anger, but do so to teach a lesson, and don't do it to the point where the child is in a great deal of pain or to leave a mark. When a teacher is given the authority to paddle a child, there is no telling what he/she would feel is deserving of a paddling, if he/she was doing it in anger, and if he/she was doing it too hard. There are too many what ifs and concerns with allowing a teacher to physcially discipline a child.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:13 PM on May. 6, 2010

• It not illegal to spank here. The local police actually encourage it because kids are out of control. Then mentioned it at a neighborhood meeting.

Anonymous

• probably state to state thing..
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 11:15 PM on May. 6, 2010

• you are right Ash...I found the laws regarding it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:17 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I'm jus gone be honest, I no I wud HURT someone if they hit my kid....
    Patientchild3

Answer by Patientchild3 at 11:26 PM on May. 6, 2010

• My elementary school used paddles, but I thought that stopped like.... 20 years ago!!

I would say "NO! If you have an issue with my child, before you even think about hitting her, you better just call me and I'll come deal with it myself"
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:29 PM on May. 6, 2010