Does anyone know if after you get a prosthetic part removed from your body if the doctor will let you keep it?

2 years ago I got into a car wreck and had to have a prosthetic radial head replace my shattered elbow- it doesnt last that long, on the 18 th I need to go in and get ANOTHER One put in, because the first one went bad so fast. Anyway, I reallllly, realllllllllllly want that part after they extract it, do u think they can give that back, or is it medical waist?

JnCV

Asked by JnCV at 12:00 AM on May. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't think they are allowed to let you keep it anymore. I know in the "olden days" they would let you keep even your appendix and stuff in a jar! But now I think they have to throw it out because its biohazard.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:02 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I think that legally it belongs to you and they cannot deny it to you if you request it.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:02 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Ash, they say that, but you are allowed to take your placenta home from the hospital if you want (and I know that as a fact, it's a legal right and they can't deny it to you). I don't think a prosthetic part would be any different (or an appendix, etc).
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:03 AM on May. 7, 2010

• My mom had metal plates put in her leg and when she got them removed they gave them to her she did not ask for them or anything they were just in her room when she got out of surgery.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 12:04 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Hmmm...that's interesting Ati. I didn't know that. I just wonder if because the prosthetic part was not actually a part of HER body, if the case is different.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:05 AM on May. 7, 2010

• When my grandfather had his hip replaced the 2nd time, the doctor let him have the first ball socket part he removed. I still have it.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 12:17 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I hope so- I was told by a few people its considered a "biohazzard" I sure hope not, I would LOVE to have it back, shit it only cost me 348K, I better get it back!
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 4:55 PM on May. 7, 2010