Do you IRL or on here...

befriend and get to know those of different beliefs?
Does that affect your belief system or lessen your faith in any way?
Do you research others beliefs, or just assume you don't believe them? ( I say assume because if you don't know what they are you don't truly know if you believe them or not.)

You all know my answers to these. So what's yours?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 12:30 AM on May. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have friends of many faiths on here. I came here as part of a group from the previous incarnation of the site, and most of them are believers. Most of the friends I have made here sought me out because, well, I have rejection issues, but I have never made it any secret here what my beliefs are.

Not so much in offline life, because I seem to be in the land of christians. And those christians -- none of whom ever had any idea I was atheist until I started "coming out" in college, and most still don't -- were simply never interested in giving me a chance unless I could meet them where they are and be just like them. I couldn't do it, so they all move on. It's just how it is. But when I have had friends, most of them were christians because I rarely encounter any other options.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:36 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Yeah, to some extent. I don't often research on my own, but I like to ask a lot of questions. It does not lessen my faith, but gives me a better understanding of other people. Having said that, there are areas I just don't go, like, for example, asking questions about occult or how to do spells or stuff like that. I do believe there is an Enemy to my faith, and I have no desire to make myself his student.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I am friendly to anyone, if they invite me I'll be their friend if not, I will still be nice.No I strive to understand why people believe the way they do,and share why I believe I do when asked. And it makes my faith stronger in each situation. I have looked through them all and found my place where I am. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 12:47 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Shoot, just look at my friends list here. It's all mixed up. LOL Doesn't affect my beliefs at all, and yup. Especially if I don't know much about them.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:54 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Religion has almost no bearing on who I am friends with. It makes no difference to me (tho I would steer clear of any Westboros), and I rarely talk about religion IRL except to ask a few curious questions for faiths/traditions I'm not familiar with.

I respect them for who they are in character, not for whatever gods they believe in.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:09 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I have friends IRL and on here who have beliefs other than mine, it's doesn't lessen my Faith.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:22 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Yes
    No
    and depends
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:41 AM on May. 7, 2010

• befriend and get to know those of different beliefs? I try, but with a few of my phobias, it is kinda hard
    Does that affect your belief system or lessen your faith in any way? Nope
    Do you research others beliefs, or just assume you don't believe them? Yes, I do research other beliefs, I love learning
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 2:40 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I have friends with different beliefs. I'm not threatened or intimidated by it, I know what I believe, I hold those beliefs very strongly and dearly to my heart. I want my beliefs respected, so, in turn, I respect other beliefs, even when I don't agree with them. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't be ecstatic to have a friend come to share my beliefs, but I don't push them, any more than I want them pushing me. I don't have a problem with asking questions about different faiths, but that doesn't mean that I'm an expert in them by any means. I don't have a problem answering questions about my beliefs, but sometimes, it's too hard to do here than it is in real life, because of the constraints of internet / message board conversations.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:53 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Oh, sorry - I forgot one of the most important ones - no - it doesn't diminish my faith one bit. My faith is strong enough that it doesn't need to be hidden, and it's not so weak that it can't stand up to being questioned. (That doesn't mean that I don't usually avoid religious fights, because I find them pointless and disrespectful, not because I'm afraid they're going to damage my faith any.)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:55 AM on May. 7, 2010