would you take your toddler to the doctor for this?

okay yesterday my daughter hit her gums on the edge of our desk and got a little gash on her gums later that night she got a fever. today she has still had the fever until about an hour ago it went away. her gum is definitely a bit swollen and red and the gash looks a little bit white or yellow but i dont know if this is because her tooth is right there too. today shes been rubbing on her mouth and hitting it as though its irritating and bothering her..

im thinking about seeing how she does tomorrow, then possily taking her to the dr if need be.
would you do the same thing?

oh ive been giving her tylenol as well.

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:50 AM on May. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Id at least call and ask to talk to a nurse. tell them what has been going on and ask them what you should do. It shows you took action and asked med professionals and went by what they say.

Also what does your gut tell you?? what ever it says Do It!!!!
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 12:56 AM on May. 7, 2010

• fever usually means that the body is trying to fight off an infection. Maybe the cut got infected. I would take her to see her doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I would also call or take her in. I agree w/ anon FEVER means infection! just like when DR say its ok to run a fever with vaccines.. NO its NOT>> Sorry but that,,, but yeah ID take care of that ASAP!
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 8:19 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I'd take her to the dr or the dentist. Gum injuries should be taken very seriously, especially before their adult teeth come in. Do you think the fever is related to the injury, or does it seem like she's also sick with something? If the fever is low and there are no other symptoms, I would call the pediatric dentist, tell them your DD has a gum injury & needs to be seen today. If the fever is high or has other symptoms, then I'd take her to the dr today.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:54 AM on May. 7, 2010

• a fever is the body's defense it is normal and okay and in fact many doctors are not recommending paracetamol to reduce fever now unless it is raging high. The high temp is trying to kill off infection and it works pretty good if you don't keep reducing it.
    If she is still sore,. then yep call the nurse, but the fact is we live in a society that sees the Dr over every tiny little bump or burp. Do you think she is in peril? Do you think she is in unbearable pain. OR is your gut instinct that she's ok with a bump on the gum? What do you really think the Dr will do about it, other than say , "yes she has a bump on the gums, it needs time to heal." If you bash your arm on something it needs time for bruising and broken skin to heal. This is the same thing. Unless she is floppy and listless or her mouth is pus-y and toxic, she will be okay.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 9:54 AM on May. 7, 2010