Vitamin D deficiency

I have a SEVERE vitamin D deficiency just diagnosed this week. Doc has put me on 20000 IU's of vit D twice a week for 6 weeks. What can I EAT to get more vitamin D. He told me MILK was a negligible source. THANK YOU!

plclemo

Asked by plclemo at 5:18 AM on May. 7, 2010 in Health

• Go out in the sun. The body poduces vit D on it's own with the help of sun light. Should make it a goal to go outside for at least an hour a day. Will be good for your kids too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Let the sunshine In!!! Get outside and stop wearing sunglasses, we absorb lots and lots of our sunlight through the eyes, so wearing sunglasses greatly reduces your intake. Just grab a book and go outside and read for an hour or two. If you have kids, head off to the park, and sit in the sunlight. Drs are now saying we have an epidemic of Vit D defieciency as we have become so sun-scared we avoid it at all costs. Leave the sunnies off the kids too, so they don't become deficient
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:08 AM on May. 7, 2010

• your other alternatives are sockeye salmon and cod liver oil - if you do some googling you'll find some info, but everything suggests that an hour or two of sunlight a day will sort you out better than any food
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:10 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I take a calcium/magnesium/vitamin D supplement every other day.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:17 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Be sure to take calcium with you vit D suplement or your body wont absorb it.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:30 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Sunlight is your best source of vitamin D.  Doctors recommend 10 mins of sun exposure a day without sunscreen.   Vitamin D builds up in your body so what you accumulate in the summer should give you enough reserves to last the winter.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:31 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I agree, sunlight bc too much Vit D can help cause kidney stones. How do I know? I was just diagnosed with one and too much Vit D ingested by pill was part of the problem.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:21 AM on May. 7, 2010