Is it safe to get my teeth worked on while pregnant?

I'm currently 5 1/2 months along. The other day my bottom wisdom tooth started acting up. It's been three days now of constant pain. The gums are all swolen and i can barely open my mouth. So the question is...

Is it safe to go to a dentist to have my wisdom teeth pulled while I'm pregnant?

Or will the pain just "go away"

MomCakes

Asked by MomCakes at 8:05 AM on May. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• NOOO that pain will never go away. I had it and they had to take all four of mine out. The only thing is they have to put you to sleep if they are impacted. (haven't broken skin yet) i had mine done when i was prego, but we did not know it. So you need to call a denist office and asked that question. and yes it is healthy for you to get work on your teeth while prego. actually im in Louisiana and they cover dental work on the medical card while prego bc it promotes healthy pregency.
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 8:11 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Depends on the dentist. I know a girl who needs her wisdom teeth pulled, but can't have it done until after her baby is born.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Yeah you can get them worked on but i'm pretty sure the wisdom teeth are the one thing they wont work on because they have to put you to sleep. But you should just call and ask the dentist there might be something you can do to help with the pain. Also tell your doctor he/she might have some advice about it too. Good Luck I just had mine pulled a few months ago so glad thats over.

Zara Nichols
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4AHappyLife.com
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 8:24 AM on May. 7, 2010

• They don't have to put you to sleep always for your wisdom teeth, I had all mine pulled with them just numbing it! Call your dentist
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:40 AM on May. 7, 2010