How do I make my toddler stop eating blueberries?

My son can't get enough blueberries. Every time we go to the store he goes crazy for them. Is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on May. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I thought you were going to say that you had wild blueberries growing in your yard, or something like that. (We have blueberries all over our property)

As previous post says, just stop buying them. If you can't handle the temper tantrum in the store (and believe me, sometimes I can't either!!) Then you'll have to get sneaky! When he's not looking either pull them back out of the cart, or at the end (during check-out) just slip them to the clerk with a whisper saying you really don't need these today. I admit, I have done that before. Usually with Junk food or toys. After we get home if my kids say "where is this or that" I act like "Oops we must have forgot it at the store". Then they forget all about it.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:26 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Kids like blueberries. If you want him to stop eating them, stop buying them.. if he sees them and goes crazy... don't go near them in the store.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Why would you want to? there are very good for him!

Answer by older at 8:22 AM on May. 7, 2010

• anon
    if he sees them and goes crazy... don't go near them in the store.

And you think that I had not tired that? Is there something in the blueberries that maybe make kids "addicted" to them. LOL
    OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Well... I guess you're going to have to put your foot down and say NO, and watch the tantrum as it unveils... I know blueberries are really healthy.. but they are also very expensive.. and my DD will no the difference between something we can buy every week and something we buy as a treat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on May. 7, 2010

• All three of my kiddos love blueberries! I encourate it, they are good for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on May. 7, 2010

• ...... PS..... I do have to second the "blue berries are really good for you" sentiment. I wish my kids would eat them more since they are so full of antioxidants.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:28 AM on May. 7, 2010

• anon and vero.

Got it! Still, I was wondering if this is a normal behavior for a kid gets "fixated" on one fruit specifically. Don't mind me. LOL OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on May. 7, 2010

• for like 2 months my son wanted only grapes. I let him eat as many as he wanted because I was just glad that he wasn't begging for gummy bears like all his friend in the neighborhood were. After he had his fill, he didn't want any more. Now he is craving oranges. (maybe for the natural sugar and vit C?) I believe your body craves what it needs, but most of us have learned to fill that craving with artificial sugars and refined sugars when really we SHOULD be eating the natural fruits instead. I'm sure after a while my son will grow tired of oranges too, then hopefully he'll want to eat another kind of fruit and keep passing on those gummy bears!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on May. 7, 2010

• oops! I accidentally posted anon... that was me again at 8:34
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:35 AM on May. 7, 2010