What's wrong with this:

"I think the more you have, the more you should give".

Anything?

Or is it socialist/communist type thinking?

mustbeGRACE

Asked by mustbeGRACE at 8:33 AM on May. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that's good... most people who have a lot are forced to 'give' due to tax deductions and things..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on May. 7, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with the phrase, if you have been blessed with a lot then you should feel blessed with the ability to give. It takes a special kind of person to give and not just hoard it all to yourself. Nothing politically inclined either.

Answer by older at 8:36 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I believe in that. If you are blessed, then you should bless others when ever you are able. Be it money, donations of items that you no longer need, or donating your time (volunteering).

It is always good to help your community. But it should always be because you WANT to do that, not because you are forced to do that.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:39 AM on May. 7, 2010

• It is always good to help your community. But it should always be because you WANT to do that, not because you are forced to do that

Absolutely agree with this..no matter what way an individual can and chooses to give the only sincere giving imo is from the heart.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:52 AM on May. 7, 2010

"SHOULD" ?

I think that's the Socialist in you talking, Elder.

Take something completely voluntary, and make it a "Should".

You and the IRS.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:55 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Who is the " I " stating this phrase?
    God? You the OP? or Me the person reading it.
    Because when the I in the phrase is determined, it will then help to determine what the phrase is actually saying.
    If it's God saying it, then giving is a charity event and comes from the heart.
    If it's You Op, well then, I think you are having an identity crisis this morning.
    If it's Me saying the phrase-then I would say the "should" should be changed.
    I like the phrase-to whom much is given much is required.
    So.......it that's where you're headed I'll discuss it with you. If not...............well then I'm done.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:05 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Grace the "should" was refering to a feeling not an action. I do not have a socialist bone in my body if it were so I would have stayed in my native country.

Answer by older at 9:06 AM on May. 7, 2010

-----
    It's Nobody's business what someone else gives, or whether or not they give, and it is nobody's judgement as to how much or how often or to Who.
    And...it is a choice to hoard money, if someone wants to keep their money to themselves or only unto their family it is their CHOICE. The choice we have in AMERICA.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:07 AM on May. 7, 2010

• jewjew, never said it wasn't a choice, but do you find something wrong with the phrase?

Answer by older at 9:09 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Not you specifically.......but yes. The word "should" does change alot.
    For SOMEONE to feel that someone else "should" give, ----I feel that is wrong.
    I feel that nobody in the world has the ability to determine what someone else should give, could give, or can give to whom.
    When it comes to giving of anything, I believe that People are better off when they give only for themselves. But I would NEVER say to anyone, "You should give, because of this or that, or because you have more"
    That decision is not mine to give. It is only a decision to made by the one GIVING.
    When you say "not just hoard it all to yourself" it denotes a certain connotation that you have determined for yourself that you want something someone else has. Or that someone who has it all, doesn't deserve it.

If they have it, they have it, whatever it is. It's not yours to decide WHAT they do with it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:14 AM on May. 7, 2010