What words should a parent NOT say when teaching about sex?

words like "blow jobs" not a good thing to say.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on May. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would think the first talk which usually happens a lot younger than any of us want, lol, could be more of technical terms for body parts and what's going on with their changing body. I mean seriously if my son would ask me at 9 why he has an erection in the morning I don't think we need to get into what a blow job or train is... lol

Although I do agree while you probably don't need to explain a dirty sanchez or cleveland steamer (gross gross gross) the phrase blow job is something to explain.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 11:02 AM on May. 7, 2010

• i guess it depends on the age..because you know if the kids are in high school or even 7th or 8th grade the boys are gonna be talking about it.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:25 AM on May. 7, 2010

• the F word, screw, bang, moan, back scratching, riding, going down, i'm sure theres more
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I disagree , you need to use some street language when talking to teens or tweens about sex. No-one in the playground is going to call it fellatio! It's a blow job~ Just use the words that you use and they will be ok, it's sex, making love or "doing it", blow job, going down , cock and vag or similar. You need to decide if you are coming from an authoritarian " these are the official facts" point, or if your are telling it like it is, We have some great books Secret Boys Business and Secret Girls Business which are funny with great pages like "these are some names for you penis" and then 20 arrows pointing to a cartoon guys crotch with different names. I would use as much honest and real language as possible, give the correct dictionary names if you need, but they also need to know what it is called at a party, or at school camp, so they know what is going on
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 9:30 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Back again,. earlier today there was a post from a girl saying her girlfriend "got trained" and blah blah blah. She meant that several guys had had sex with the one girl at a party. If your 14 yr old daughter is at a party and a guy asks if she wants to board the train, she needs to know what she is saying yes or no to!!! ( PS I did not know it was called a train...choochoo)
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 9:34 AM on May. 7, 2010

• one of my best friends did the whole train thing YUCK....We had a fight and didnt speak for 6 months.HEr life went down hill and she was just nasty.We are friends now,She is a mother and married also. What a gross thing to have happen...

Anyways USE street words or whatever you use. people are gonna be talking about it and your child will be the grin and nodding clueless one lol.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:37 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I think when first talking about it, use the proper terms so that they know. You don't have to be super anal about it and use really strick terms. But tell the kid, oral sex on a man is also called a blow job etc.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 9:49 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I used proper and slang and any words I could think of...even blow job. I talked about EVERYTHING I knew about sex and any word. We had the most in-depth dicussion ever. He knows everything I know...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:33 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I think it depends on both the age of the child and their maturity level. They are going to hear and see those words and will without doubt have questions. To not use them or ignore that they can come up is irresponsible!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:09 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I think that you should always be completely honest with your child. Talk about basic sex and if they ask about other sexual things that people do, only give them the basics. Don't go into the dirty and nasty things that people enjoy. Like another post mentioned. When they ask a question, give them the real answer. Don't sugar coat it, don't skirt around it, just be honest and upfront with them. The more you teach your child the better educated they're going to be in the long run. Don't wait until they hear it from their peers. Peers teach each other what they know, which isn't always the most educated information. So be honest with them and answer their questions to the best of your knowledge. If you don't know look it up and relay the information back to your child. But be honest.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:56 AM on May. 7, 2010