is it really labor?

im a 1st time mommy & not scared to admit that i have NO IDEA what to expect when it comes to labor. i mean ive read the books, looked up info online, talked to friends, etc & im still curious what to expect. im 38weeks today & last nite my stomach was SO tight & i had pressure & pains all night. ive had braxton hicks for a while now, but ive never had a pain like this! i tried laying down, taking hot bath laying in bed w/lots of pillows... i eventually got some relief about 10 pm. needless to say i didnt get much sleep-woke up @ 5am & gave up. can someone plz help me know what to expect? thanks

mommyw2010

Asked by mommyw2010 at 10:04 AM on May. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It sounds like Pre labor. Start timing your contractions and when they get at about 10mins apart religiously then you know it's really labor.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 10:14 AM on May. 7, 2010

• it is so hard because every pregnancy is sooooo different. when i had a night like that, the next morning, went into active labor and had my son that evening.

BUT i know women who have days/nights like that for WEEKS before going into labor. (my mom had this for a MONTH before i was born)

all you can do is do your very best to relax, and if contractions get like 5 minutes apart for an hour or so, call your doctor or midwife. :)

good luck!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:20 AM on May. 7, 2010

• thats how it started for me. i was having contractins all day one day, but didnt even know it bc all it felt like was tightening, no actual pain. when i went in for my 39 week apt, the doctor noticed i was having them and asked "how long have you been having contractions" and i said "im not" lol. they hooked me to the monitor and sure enough i was.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 12:09 PM on May. 7, 2010

• thx for all answers! i will try my best to take it easy & start timing them jus to see if there is a pattern
    mommyw2010

Answer by mommyw2010 at 12:31 PM on May. 7, 2010