how do you get a toddler to use a spoon?

my son is 17 mos and refuses to use a spoon, he will hold it in one hand and eat with the other. ive been offering and tring to teach him to use it since 12 mos, what am i doing wrong? i really dont want to be hard on him b/c i dont want to make meal time a bad experience. if i try to push the spoon he just wont eat? any advice?

mrsaustin271

Asked by mrsaustin271 at 10:35 AM on May. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just keep trying. There is no rush. He'll get it eventually. I found yogurt was easier for them to eat off a spoon by themselves because it doesn't fall off. Just put the yogurt in a bowl first.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:50 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Just give it to him and make sure you have a mat on the floor. He'll pick it up sooner or later, just dont force it.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:45 AM on May. 7, 2010

• That is actually normal for his age. Don't force him. I worked in a daycare and all the kids that age do that. Eventually he will get the hang of it.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 11:05 AM on May. 7, 2010

• You're doing fine with what you're doing.
    One thing children do is learn by example. So make sure to use utensiles around him and he'll eventually want to mimic what you're doing. He probably won't start right away with trying to do it himself, but the longer he watches you the more interested he'll become. Just keep introducing the utensil and show him how to use it himself, but then let him do what's comfortable for him. Don't rush him, he's going to do it when he's ready.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:14 AM on May. 7, 2010

• be sure he uses the fork first and just always give him a spoon too. Do not force the issue. maybe sit by him and eat with a spoon just kinda showing him without forcing him. He will get it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Give him time. He's too young anyway. Just let him play with the spoon at mealtime and get comfortable with it. The eating with the spoon will come in good time.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:39 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Just keep trying. I gave both my boys plastic sporks when I started feeding in the high chair at like 6-7 months, just so they could get used to it. It took a while a long while, I still have to remind my 3yr old to use his spoon or fork.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:32 PM on May. 7, 2010