Is the VA system really that bad?

I see many ladies here complaining about the VA system in our country. Has it not improved since Korea, Vietman? Are there not better measures in place now to keep these men from harming others, and themselves? Better treatment options for those wounded, and the elderly vets, who use this system; perhaps I missed something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on May. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If you're referring to the VA "benefits" available to retirees, the system SUCKS. They've taken more and more benefits away, to the point that you have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the illness or injury you're seeking treatment for is directly related to time in combat. The system is also set up for gereatric care. It doesn't know what to do with the many, many young men and women who have been discharged or retired from the military in the decades since Vietnam. WWII, Korea, and Vietnam vets, all well into or just reaching their golden years are flooding the system and today's vets are loosing out.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 2:20 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I don't think it is, but we cannot force anyone to reach for help. My brother is a Vietnam vet and now that he has been disabled because of illness, the VA has come through with flying colors.

Answer by older at 10:43 AM on May. 7, 2010

• do the words Walter Reed Medical center mean anything?
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/17/AR2007021701172.html
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:45 AM on May. 7, 2010

• There are lots of things in place for the Active Duty, you just have to know where to look for them and how to find them. There's a lot of things in place - primarily due to a response to the outcry about it NOT being there - and a lot of "loopholes" that screwed over the Vets getting closed (like billing Active Duty members for the food they eat in the hospital when they were recovering from combat sustained injuries - come on, they lost a leg, and we can't feed them while they're in the hospital?! - thankfully, THAT "loophole" is closed...)

But as far as the "average" Vet that needs treatment, I'm sorry, but it's a bureaucratic mess, with too many patients, not enough providers, and not enough funds. Yes, on paper the care is there and available, but you have to do a lot of hurry up and wait for it, and you have to know EXACTLY how to phrase it, and who to say it to, and when, and still, wait your turn.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:45 AM on May. 7, 2010

• cont

A lot of times, if you don't know the right "trigger word" to get the care, or know exactly what to ask for, you get lost in the system.

Now, this is NOT the same as military retirees who have Tricare (or, specifically, Retiree Tricare), or for the AD (as I said, that wasn't bad, got worse when the current wars started for about a yr or 2, then started getting better), or for the AD families, who use Tricare.

This is solely talking about the VA. They mean well, but they just have too many people to treat, with too many issues, with too little resources or time.

It's similar to the health care we experienced when we were stationed in Newfoundland and immersed in a NATO exchange program (our govt paid their govt to provide us with health care, just as if we were one of them) - it's socialized medicine at it's worst - picture the DMV meets your health care - taking the worst of both....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:50 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I should add, this is just based on what I have seen from my own experience (as AD and as a dependent using the military health care), and from what I've seen from many friends and family who have tried to navigate the VA system.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:51 AM on May. 7, 2010

• One of my husband's platoon mates applied for services when he got out of the Corps in 2008 he's STILL waiting for an INITIAL appointment, they keep saying 'we're working on it' and that's all they're telling him. My husband was given a PTSD eval that lasted 2 minutes and the questions were basically 'what's your favorite color? what's your favorite food?' he gave these answers to a nurse and was called a week later and told that a doctor reviewed his eval and he doesn't have PTSD, how would they know?! When he went in at the recommendation of his PCP to be checked for TBI he was going over the issues with a doctor who refused the test and when he asked a nurse who to file a complaint with she said 'well it's just what you get for going to Iraq Corporal.' The VA may work great for alot of folks, but to say that those of us with legitimate complaints are just being dramatic is wrong!

BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 11:01 AM on May. 7, 2010

• BlueCollarMama - sadly, that doesn't surprise me - what happened to his Platoon mate, or what happened to your dh. It's things like that that I was talking about and hear about all the time :-(

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:07 AM on May. 7, 2010

• My dad went to VA when he was very ill. NEVER again. It was a horrid, dirty place staffed with apathetic people. The next time he was ill we took him to a nearby hospital and the difference was night and day. I would never take him to the VA hospital again.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:09 AM on May. 7, 2010

• It's worse
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:15 AM on May. 7, 2010