when to potty train a boy, how to start?

i have a 17 month old and i just dont know how to start to potty train, we have taught him what it means to pee pee as he always goes in the tub so he sais pee pee when he goes and when he poops he comes to me and hodes his nose , but after he poops. and when he wets his diaper he tells me and pats the diaper. do you think this means he readdy? and he has had 2 pottys since like 12 mos he just plays with them or rides them like cars. whats the best kind of potty? and when and how did you start with your boy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on May. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I waited until i knew my son had shown all the signs of readiness. I took one week and went nowhere. We picked out big kid undies and bought a potty. I told him that he was a big boy and big boys use the potty and not a diaper. I took away diapers and put him in underwear. The first morning, I took the diaper off and told him we wouldn't be using baby diapers anymore, he was going to learn how to use the potty. I took him to the potty and had him sit and try. No longer than a few minutes. Then I sent him to play. Fifteen minutes later, I told him we needed to go try again...when I saw that he had this down and was trying, I made it every 30 mintues. I kept that up all day, increasing by 15 minutes. At some point, he did have an accident, we just changed into new undies. Soon, he went for the first time and I made a big deal and praised him. He was excited. After 2 days of this, he started to understand and ran on his own..CONT
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:12 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Wait until he is ready and shows interest in using the potty.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 11:03 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I waited until mine were 3. It was a simple, 3 day process. If you start now it will drag out for years. Just wait until he is at least 2 1/2.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:05 AM on May. 7, 2010

• to the potty. He had an accident or two at night, but by day three, he stopped pretty much..... I made sure he stopped drinking an hour before bedtime and made him go before he laid down. He was 2.5

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:13 AM on May. 7, 2010

• The signs are:

Can tell you they need to go(they won't at first, but, the ability helps)
    Can pull their pants up and down(again, won't at first, but, the ability helps)
    Can stay dry through naptime(at least 2 hours)
    Are not afraid of the potty.
    Show at least some interest in it.
    Can understand what poop and pee and the feeling of wetness is.
    BradenIsMySon

• my oldest was ready at 18 months. I have 4 boys, the 3 oldest are potty trained. They all trained right around 2. It sounds like your son is showing some signs of being ready. I pretty much trained mine like Bradenismyson said. We did keep them in diapers at night until they had more dry nights than accidents. Nap time the first couple days I did put a diaper on, but they didn't wet much during nap after that. When they would go they would get LOTS of praise and a couple M&M's, stickers worked for one of them just as well. I didn't use a potty chair just set them on the big toilet and they did fine. Before we started the actual training I'd have them sit on the toilet every now and then (before bath, when I could tell they were pooping etc.). It worked well with my boys and like I said they were all trained at 2. My 4th will be 2 in July. He's starting to show some signs so we're getting him used to the toilet. :) Good luck!
    cbx3mom

Answer by cbx3mom at 12:38 PM on May. 7, 2010

• We waited until our boy was 3. He was then big enough for the potty, able to talk about what we were doing, and he took right to potty training. It only took a week or two for him to get it all figured out.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:38 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I agree with mompam. You can try when they are younger, but it's really just EC. I wait until the 3rd birthday and just quit putting diapers on them. I've done that with two of my boys (so far, 2 more to go) and have them using a potty within a week.
    Anonymous