I can't keep my 2 year old out of the bathroom

It seems like everytime I turn my head my daughter is in the bathroom "washing her hands" which means sitting on the sink soaking herself, the counter, the floor and who knows what else in water. It could be worse I suppose, it's just water. But it's driving me crazy. I can't put one of those baby proofing door knob things on because it has a fancy handle instead of a knob. And if I lock the door I'm going to have problems with my 4 year old who likes to wait until the last minute to run to the bathroom. Yesterday she was getting time outs for it, but she's still doing it today, and I know I struggle with consistancy. She's obsessed with washing her hands, and I guess it wouldn't be so bad except that she could sit in there all day doing it wasting tons of water and she makes such a mess. I can't wait for it to be warm enough to put a little pool in the yard. I guess this isn't much of a question, any suggestions though?

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 11:09 AM on May. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ANON 11:12am
    why isnt it healthy to wash her hands alot? i have never heard that before...idont think you are right on that one.sorry.

anyway,
    i think every kidgoes thru this. remember,everything is newfor them at this age! it is all fun and discovery. be patient, she will get thru this and move onto something else. atleast she wants to be clean. my daughter freaks out when i wipe her face and hands! good luck!
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 11:33 AM on May. 7, 2010

• It's not really healthy for her to be in there washing her hands.. have set times to wash hands.. (before eating and after going potty) and then if she's doing it at another time of the day, redirect... She's not going to stop if there isn't someone right there telling her to get out of the bathroom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Get her a water table to play with. That way she has her own special place to play with water. Just add a bit of soap for the bubbles and let her have a ball!
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 11:12 AM on May. 7, 2010

• put a baby gate up? get a water table, or let her 'help' with dishes.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:16 AM on May. 7, 2010

• This probably won't last long. She probably just discovered that is is something she can do by herself. Maybe fill the sink up for her a little so that the water doesn't keep running?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:25 AM on May. 7, 2010

• My daughter does the same thing! She'll say "i need pee" (we are starting potty training) so ill tell her to go to the bathroom, next thing i know I hear the water on OR ill go check on her and shes sitting on the rim on the toiletsplashing in the water!!!.. She also likes to play in the cabinets .. I try to go with her to the bathroom each time or just make sure the door is closed. Good luck!

gildea47265

Answer by gildea47265 at 12:41 PM on May. 7, 2010