eating

So my almost 18 month old can take food off a spoon and fork by herself she just can't scoop or poke the food with it I've been taking her hand with the fork or spoon in it and doing it with her or if she gives it to me I put it on it and she takes it to her mouth herself I'm just wondering what other kinds of ways can I get her to do it herself any tips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on May. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Practice practice practice. My almost 3 year old still has some trouble. It's a hard gross motor skill to master.
    PandTsmomjuly

Answer by PandTsmomjuly at 11:24 AM on May. 7, 2010

• To add to PandTsmomjuly's comment: Until her small motor skills really develop, don't expect her to be good at it. The idea is to get her to know that this is how we eat, not to expect her to master the skill.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:44 AM on May. 7, 2010

• My 17-month-old doesn't use a fork or spoon yet either. She's just started getting interested in it.

My problem is that she's picky as hell and won't try anything new!!! Chloe eats chicken nuggets, cheese sandwiches (won't touch PB&J), scrambled eggs, yogurt, and Teddy Grahams. What do I do??
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 11:48 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Should I just let her try to do it more and more herself? Kassey713 I know how it is to have a picky eat she wont eat anything that she doesn't know what it is so we fight with her on that she won't touch scrambled eggs even with ketchup on it so crazy how they just start to get picky.
    Anonymous

• It's too soon to be a fork and spoon master at 18 months. They're just figuring out what they are. Keep giving them to her, but let her feed herself however works best. Take lots of pictures!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:36 PM on May. 7, 2010