many questions.....weaning Breastfeeding, eating, drinks......

I am a first time mother and I tried alot of things to wean my son from my breastmilk .... He refuses he will starve himself before he gets off the breastmilk..... They told me to not give him the breast milk and when he is hungry he will eat...... Went the entire day with no breast milk and food or drinks.... He wouldn't even take my milk in a cup. I am upset that the doctor suggested something and it failed to work and I starved my child. I was furious....... When he does finally get off of breast milk how do I stop from my breast from producing milk and keep the from filling to the point of pain, lol ( I know I sound dumb) I don't like to be engorged it hurts. My son hates milk and is sensitive to cheese and yogurt.... Is there another product that won't make him sick or diarrea. The doctor said he is low in iron and vitamin d. Please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, your son seems really attached to breastfeeding... and is even not able to take lots of forms of calcium that are important. Is it really important that you stop breastfeeding?? If he's low on iron, they can supplement that, but vit D you get from being out in the sun.. maybe more outside time. You can try soy milk if you really want to stop breastfeeding.. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I always kind of slowly wean. Is there no drinks he likes? My daughter drank water good and even milk. I just had sippy cup issues at first because she would not take any! That doc method doesn't seem to good. Hopefully you will get some replies!
    Anonymous

• How old is he?

I don't recommend force-weaning. And certainly not all at once. If you are dead-set on weaning, don't offer the breast, make him ask for it. If you stop all at once, you will be sore and risk infection. A slow weaning allows your body to naturally stop producing. Check out the Breastfeeding Moms group. They have been a tremendous help for me.
    PandTsmomjuly

Answer by PandTsmomjuly at 11:33 AM on May. 7, 2010

• To ween you should cut one feeding at a time.. not do it all at once.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I think you need to wean slowly. Stop the morning feeding and offer a drink or snack instead. Keep that up for a week. Then drop 1 more feeding every week or so. Offer him his favorite things. What does he really love? What about chocolate milk? If you do it slowly, you will also wean your body as well as his and you won't get as engorged. Good luck! This is a tough one.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:37 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I concur with everyone who said to drop one feeding at a time. But you might not want it to be the first morning one, since your breasts will be very full then.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:48 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Drop one feeding a week till gone. NO FASTER.

There are drops for iron and vit d. You can give those.

Expect him to be stubborn. That's normal...weaning early actually isn't normal, biologically speaking...it's only a societal norm.

There's no reason you cannot continue to nurse AND give him supplemental vitamins if you want. Would probably be easier.

Drop by the breastfeeding moms group for more help. There's a lot of Q&A to do here, and this particular forum is lousy for it.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:49 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I agree with the PP's. Also, you can take a vit D supplement and it will get to him through your milk, plus take him outside into the sun. There are also supplements he can take for iron deficiency.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 11:49 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I'm with the PP's... But I am curious WHY you would want to wean, and give him COW milk, when you are still producing what his body NEEDS. ANY Dr. who advises a mum to wean before 2, needs to be reeducated... I would personally have had to find a new DR. if I were advised to wean early. Most haven't a CLUE.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:18 PM on May. 7, 2010

• well the doctors from the hospital and the dentist and the health lady told me to get him off the breastmilk..... The dentist has a concern because of his teeth is decaying he is 14 months as of yesterday. We brush his teeth since I seen his first tooth. He already has a cavity.... The docyors says the brest milk is probably not helping but they don't think it due to my breastmilk they said the see 4 year olds breast feed with no teeth problems.... The doctors thinks it'shas something to do with something in his system... We are getting lab test done. Everyone says he rely too much on my breast.
    Anonymous