Do you have to work to keep your marriage happy?

For those that are happy with their marriage, why is it a happy marriage and do you have to work at it to be happy? What is the key to a good marriage?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on May. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• Im only speaking of my marriage....I except my husband for the man that he is and I knew the type of man he was before I married him. Before marrying him, I knew I had to take the bitter with the sweet, the happiness with the rain and the good with the bad...so when we did get married, I learned how to compromise...I learned how to accept his bad moods without taking them to heart. I learned to pick my battles and let the rest blow in the wind. I learned how not to be so independent and judgemental. I learned to really love my man without conditions....
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 12:40 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Marriage is work.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:50 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Having a great marriage is hard work. Its not always easy to make time for each other when one or both of you is working and have kids. You should work everyday to make each other feel special and loved. Even though it is hard at times its totally worth it.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 11:52 AM on May. 7, 2010

• The key is love, trust, respect and compromise. I have been married for 38 years to a difficult man, but a loving and respectful one just the same, you got to love unconditionally and not expect drastic changes, take them as they are, and at this stage of my life, it is not work anymore. I have learned to pick my battles and leave the rest, and always make them feel they are in control even though you know who is really in charge!

Answer by older at 11:53 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Communication is KEY. Other elements are love, trust, honesty, respect. Marriage is indeed work, but if you have found the right person, it is a labor of love.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:14 PM on May. 7, 2010

• The key to a good marriage is companionship.  You have to spend time together and enjoy each other's company.  Too many couples fall into the trap of living separate lives while under the same roof. 

I also agree with everything Older said (only I'm the difficult one lol)  but I also find marriage takes very little work these days.  After almost 22 years I guess my husband has learnt how to handle me, and most importantly, how to mollify me lol.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:20 PM on May. 7, 2010

• My husband and I will celebrate our 21st anniversary this June and we've been together as a couple for over 23 years. It is work, but after so many years together, it doesn't seem so hard because we worked at making the communication and other keys to a great relationship a habit.
    The biggest pit fall that so many couples with children fall into is living for their children. You have to remember that a marriage is between a husband and wife (or wife and wife or husband and husband) and the kids aren't the ones that said "I DO". Make time for each other. Don't try to change your spouse, instead try to love the flaws.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:30 PM on May. 7, 2010