If you started you child on milk early (before a year) do they have allergies?

I am just curious. It seems that is why they say not to start it early. My mom just told me that all three of us went on milk at 6 months. None of us have any allergies. (food allergies)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on May. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• My 6 year old is now lactose intolerant. (just diagnosedthis year) I don't know if it is because I was giving her cow's milk early. Her intolerance is getting worse though.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on May. 7, 2010

• they say it for a reason. they dont say it just to have something to say. it might not give every child allergies, but why take the chance? do you want your child to be the one that it does?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:04 PM on May. 7, 2010

• my daughter had lil sips of cows milk from 10months on...she got her first whole bottle of it at 11.5 months..and no, she doesnt have any sort of allergies...shes 6yrs old
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:12 PM on May. 7, 2010

• no... she always had a small problem with lactose (stomach problems) since birth and I started her on milk at 11.5 mos... she is getting a lot better with it however. It seems her sensitivity has diminished which is great but I'm also lactose intolerant so I think it was more hereditary and my mother didn't give me milk until I was 13 mos! We think she might have a peanut allergy because the day after she eats peanut butter her butt will break out... I myself am also allergic to peanuts but my throat starts swelling shut, so again I think it's hereditary!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:21 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I gave my son some scrambled egg at 8-9 months (because I had with my older DD and she never reacted) and the second time he had it he had an anaphylactic reaction. You have no idea how badly I wish for a time machine. If you ever saw a baby go through an anaphylactic reaction you would NEVER consider giving them foods before their recommended time. :(
    Anonymous

• My son didn't have milk til 12 months and he has food allergies/lactose intolerance.. and he was only on milk for 2 weeks before I figured that out and he's 2-1/2 and still very intolerant!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:22 PM on May. 7, 2010

• My friend started her son on milk at 6 months. He is now 9 years old and completely healthy-no allergies.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:29 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Your reasoning is flawed, because just because something does not happen to 3 children does not mean that it does not happen to MANY children. Many people try heroine and do not become addicted... then again, many people become addicted with just one or two uses... is this something you would risk?

But another very important reason not to give milk to a child under 12 months is that a child's digestive system is not ready to handle milk at 6 months. EVEN IF YOU SEE NO SYMPTOMS, the lining in your child's stomach and intestines can BLEED and this can lead to very serious, dangerous illness.

EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:19 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Parent you said u wouldnt do if seen anaphlyactic shock- if your kids is going to be allergic to something & have that type of reaction. They are going to have the reaction. It doesnt matter if they are 6m or 6yrs the 1st time.
    I have a young pediatrician, he uses alot of old school methods such as Karo Syrup in bottles to help with constipation. He said my baby can have stuff with milk in it. Strawberries, Eggs, & honey as well. But even with the dietary guidelines being lifted he still pushes for formula till 12months.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 4:24 PM on May. 7, 2010

• FORMULA is MILK based. You would know if your baby was lactose intolerant already & would be giving your child SOY formula!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 4:25 PM on May. 7, 2010