Is the school liable for home school tutors if?

You have a doctors note from the pediatrician saying she can not return.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on May. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my daughter has been bullied.
    Anonymous

• No. The school isn't bound in any way to pay for a home school tutor if the child is unable to return. The school is only bound by law for the child's education while in the school. Otherwise, I could call up Colorado Elementary and ask them to pay for my child to be home schooled. It isn't possible, because even if my child at one time attended that school they are no longer held accountable for their education once that child leaves.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:13 PM on May. 7, 2010

• NO.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:19 PM on May. 7, 2010

• No
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:20 PM on May. 7, 2010

• No
    coolassmom87

Answer by coolassmom87 at 2:31 PM on May. 7, 2010

• No. The parents have to decide what steps to take to ensure their child gets an education at home.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:40 PM on May. 7, 2010

• try a free online public school like connections academy or K-12
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 7:31 AM on May. 10, 2010

• I don't think so, I think you have to be the one to find your daughter a tutor. Only because my sister tried to get a tutor for her daughter ans she asked the teachers there and they told her that she had to get her tutor on her own. ( I think if the teachers can't find you a tutor, that they should at least tell you where you can find one. ) My sister daughter had to come down my way, because up the street from where I lived, lived a retired teacher, and when I talked to her she said that she would tutor my sister kid. " Maybe you or someone you know family or friend live near someone like that , and you can do the same and get her help that way, "
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:19 AM on May. 10, 2010

• It depends on why the child can't return to school. If it is a medical condition then yes they are required to provide a tutor if the child is enrolled in public school. When my sister was pregnant and then had her daughter, the school provided her w/ a tutor for the 6 weeks until she could return to school. When I worked for a doctor, a boy had severe intestinal problems that kept him out of school for about 2 months and he had to be provided a tutor as well by the school district. So if it is a medical reason then yes, if not then I doubt it.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 8:42 AM on May. 10, 2010

• If the problem is that she's being bullied at the school, then more to the point, I would be bringing this to their attention and having her transferred to another school in the district, and I would be bringing it to the schools attention that this WILL be stopped, or you WILL be suing them. They are obligated to provide a safe learning environment for your child!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:31 AM on May. 10, 2010