S/O surrogates post...

So, I was just reading a post by a mommy who was considering being a surrogate for her brother and SIL (a very kind and noble thing, in my book), and it got me wondering. I've seen a few articles this past year about women that became surrogates, only to decide to keep the baby, and in a lot of states, it's perfectly legal. One case was on a talk show a few months ago, and the woman decided to keep the twins she carried because shs discovered the donor's mental health history and didn't think they would be suitable parents. What do you think about this, and do you think it's okay for a surrogats to keep the baby with or without a legal agreement? I would love to hear what you mamas think!

charliebean

Asked by charliebean at 12:30 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, I do not think its right for a surrogate to keep the child they are carrying for another couple. In the case you are referencing the child did not have either parents DNA it was conceived from donated sperm and eggs. The surrogate had been a surrogate before and there had been no issues. The woman that hired her did not disclose that she had mental issues, I wouldn't have handed a child over to a mentally unstable women either. The judge sided with the surrogate.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 12:38 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Thata tricky..It depends who's eggs it was really..If its the other woman's eggs then damn right you better give over that baby..But if its your eggs then you find out the mother is not suitable that's a whole nother thing..

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 12:42 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Ah, thank you, laciD. I couldn't remember all the details.
    charliebean

Answer by charliebean at 12:47 PM on May. 7, 2010

• @ kjfamily, what would you do in that situation, if you were a surrogate and found out the parents weren't suitable? Keep the baby? Give it to a relative of the parents? Adoption?
    charliebean

Answer by charliebean at 12:50 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Bumpity!
    charliebean

Answer by charliebean at 12:59 PM on May. 7, 2010

• how is it legal to keep someone else's baby??? unless it's with legal consul and whatnot with lawyers and judges.. other than that, in my book it's illegal because you didn't conceive the baby with your own eggs, it's with another woman's egg
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 1:07 PM on May. 7, 2010

• @ kitten, I don't know HOW, like I don't know the specific laws and loopholes, I just know that the judge usually sides with the surrogate. If you mean WHY, I'm just as confused as you.
    charliebean

Answer by charliebean at 1:24 PM on May. 7, 2010

• A lot of times surrogates use donated eggs... eggs that do not belong to her or the "mother" Its not biologically either of their child.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:43 PM on May. 7, 2010