The black sheep of the family

If you found you were the descendant of someone who is historically looked down upon by your religion, would you reconsider how you feel about what they did, knowing they're an ancestor?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:49 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, in my opinion being family or having a personal relationship with someone doesn't change their bad behavior so why would it change your view on it?
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 12:51 PM on May. 7, 2010

• You can aknowlegde someone as a relative even if you do not condone their actions. I probably wouldn't change how I feel about them just because of how my religion views their actions or the opposite.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:51 PM on May. 7, 2010

• No.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 1:01 PM on May. 7, 2010

• No- whether they are related to me or not really doesn't affect how I view a person's actions. This goes for living relatives too- not just ancestors!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:14 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Nope I have a wide ancestry. In my family I am the black sheep right now so I would not look down on another. I am proud they stayed true to what they believed in.
    Now of course that is only if we are speaking religiously, now if they were a rapist etc. Yes but I would've already looked down on them.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:17 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Now of course that is only if we are speaking religiously, now if they were a rapist etc. Yes but I would've already looked down on them.

Well this is nothing like rape, but not a purely religious issue, it's nicely mixed in with politics, international relations and church politics. Basically I've found I'm descended from someone my religion views as a gullible fool and another religion views as worthy of sainthood.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:20 PM on May. 7, 2010

• No-and I was the blackest sheep of the family at one time. Blessings..

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 1:24 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Well this is nothing like rape, but not a purely religious issue, it's nicely mixed in with politics, international relations and church politics. Basically I've found I'm descended from someone my religion views as a gullible fool and another religion views as worthy of sainthood

Well in that case no as long as it isn't harming others to each their own.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:33 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I like learning about my ancestors but whatever I learn about them doesn't effect my beliefs. I can't take the credit or the blame for anything my ancestors have done and I have to make my own way with my own beliefs.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:33 PM on May. 7, 2010

• lol, there is a black sheep in every family. But the tale is different on both sides. Right now my aunt and I are having issues about my Papa's estate. She thinks I'm the black sheep of the family because of all this BS going on. She bashes me to anyone who will listen, continually. Makes threats to me, etc. Lies, etc. Frankly as far as I'm concerned the issue is done and I just want it over with. On one side, she things I "stole" things from my grandfather's house without her knowing about it. She thinks I'm secretly selling it all. She thinks I'm trying to take money from the estate, etc etc etc. In reality.. my Papa died two months ago. She is the executor of the will. The entire estate is in the grandchildren's names. We agreed at the wake that if we wanted something we were free to go in if it meant something to us. Continued...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:40 PM on May. 7, 2010