Do you think I am teaching my child to run from bullies?

We have been living there for years, the neigborhood is getting worst, the school i getting horrible and my daughter wind up in the emergency room not once but twice, I have been to the schools, my daughter is acting out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on May. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• No I don't think it's running from bullies. It's keeping your child safe. I pulled my child out of school when I realized they were not going to keep her safe. It turns out at her elementary school the teachers are more afraid of the parents who are gang members than anything else so they refuse to discipline these kids when they make trouble. The day the vice principle looked me in the eye and said she wasn't going to do anything about it was the day I took my daughter out and started homeschooling. And it is not correct that your children will have to deal with these people all their lives. Gang members are not working side by side in businesses, they are out in the streets. Yes your child will have to deal with people who are different on a daily basis but not people who are violent.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 2:04 PM on May. 7, 2010

• So move away or home school. Dont really get the question here. But why would you keep your child in a dangerous environment?
    Anonymous

• i dont understand what you are doing to make her run from bullies? IMO....with my kids. they are 3 and 5 i am teaching them (as of now) if they are picked on to tell a teacher. however when they get a bit older i will teach them to defend themselves. (dont get me wrong i am not for violence) but say another person comes at them and is trying to hurt them i want my child to know how to restrain them and keep from getting hurt. i in no way condone one of my children hitting or taking a first swing...but it is a must in this day and age to know how to defend yourself if ever presented with a situation that demands it.
    Anonymous

• You need to protect your child. The school certainly isn't. They don't give a flip.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:40 PM on May. 8, 2010