when my 4 month old drinks his bottle of formula, for the first few minutes his eyebrows, nose and forhead turn beet red. but then it goes away after a few minutes. i asked a "subsitute" pediatrician today at his 4 month check up, but the woman didnt seem to have a clue about anything.

sstokes86

Asked by sstokes86 at 1:32 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first DD did that everytime she ate. Every single time until she was off formula at 13 months. Don't worry about it. Unless it gets worse or he shows other symptoms, I would not be worried.
    Georgie0502

Answer by Georgie0502 at 1:36 PM on May. 7, 2010

• From what you've written and being a mommy myself I'm going to suggest that it's most likely due to your son either sucking so hard that it's collapsing the nipple and he's not getting the food he wants so he's continuously working hard to get it... or (this is the most likely cause) your son is simply so hungry that he's forgetting to BREATHE while he's eating for the first few minutes... Boys are often ravenous eaters who act like they're starved, try feeding him a little sooner than normal. If that doesn't work also try giving him a break..take the bottle out of his mouth while he's eating to make sure he's getting air in his lungs... yes, he may scream, but take it out, talk to him, and put it back in his mouth in a few seconds... Good luck! Hope this helps!
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 1:38 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Could also be a slight milk allergy (or any other ingredient in there). Try a can of soy formula and see if that happens.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 1:40 PM on May. 7, 2010

• My daughter did that too, especially around her eyebrows. I never asked her doctor about it because I figured it was just from the milk being warm (you know how you get a little overheated from drinking hot coffee?), and the strain of sucking hard on the nipple. Some babies get some major suction going, it's scary! I wouldn't worry about it, but ask the doctor if it really bugs you. Better safe than sorry. :)
    charliebean

Answer by charliebean at 1:40 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I talk about this a lot in the infant feeding classes I give at WIC. I deal mainly in breastfeeding, but all babies have to learn to suck, swallow and breathe. This is naturally achieved when breastfeeding, but is more difficult with the bottle since the milk keeps flowing even if the baby stops sucking. So we teach our moms paced feeding. I have a wonderful handout on it if you would like me to PM it to you!
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 1:44 PM on May. 7, 2010

• they could be holding their breath to trying to remember how to suck
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 1:44 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Maybe the bottle is too hot or too cold?
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 2:08 PM on May. 7, 2010

• thanks! he was breastfed first for 3 months, and hes never had any trouble with formula. ill try giving him a minute to breathe. i appreciate it!
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 10:54 PM on May. 7, 2010