can i get a root canal during pregnacy? i have tooth ache!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• nope
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 1:40 PM on May. 7, 2010

• noooo they wont do that to you because when i was pregnant i went to the dentist because i had an appt and they only clean my teeth but they said that they cant do nothing else until after i had a baby because when you get a root canal they have to do x-rays on your mouth and that can affect the baby. So my answer is NO
    Anonymous

• well I tried to get one they told me no because of the medication they give you during and after the pregnancy.....it may be different with a civilian doctor.
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 1:42 PM on May. 7, 2010

• no you can not you will have to wait intill yu have the baby mayvbe they can give you something for the pain im not sure
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 1:47 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I had one while pregnant. They also did x-rays while I was pregnant. They put double shields over me when they did the x-ray. I had a bad infection and the root canal was not going to wait. I just took regular tylenol for the pain afterwards. It was my first root canal ever and it wasn't that bad. This coming from someone that hates the dentist.
    Anonymous

• Think about your child first and DON'T get it done ask them was a good antibiotic that you can take for the pain that is safe for pregnant women. But if i was you I WOULDN'T DO IT.
    Anonymous

• Here is a link. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_have_a_root_canal_done_while_you_are_pregnant
    It is fine to have a root canal. All these responses is the first time I ever hear that it wasn't.
    Anonymous

christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 2:00 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I had one. I didnt use anesthetic though. I had a serious infection and it couldnt wait another 4 months. They double shielded me when they did x-rays. The dentist had to speak with my ob to get her approval before he would do it. So... you CAN depending on your dentist and ob, but I would NOT recommend it without the anesthetic. If you can possibly wait, do it.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 2:18 PM on May. 7, 2010

• it depends on the doctor and your situation. If it's really bad, it will need to come out, but they won't give you certain meds for the pain, so if you are intolerant of pain they may make you wait. They can't "knock you out" to have it removed or numb you.

so if you can wait, wait.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:00 PM on May. 7, 2010