Testicular Torsion??

Yesterday while changing my son's diaper, I noticed he was very red. His bottom, testicles and penis were all very tender to the touch. I didn't know he had pooped so he had sat in it for quite some time. (I think he went while napping but I didn't smell anything when I woke him up to put him in the car, so it could have been up to an hour and a half :( ) Anyway, usually when he gets a little red, we just put desitine on and then by the next diaper change, he's good. But today he's still complaining that his testicles hurt. The rest of his bottom looks fine but they are still a little red. And they are harder than usual but still not "unusual" - if that makes sense. I looked on webmd.com and one of the things listed was Testicular Torsion. This runs in my fiances family so I'm wondering if that's what it is. No swelling though and the area around them isn't sore. Anyone dealt with this before? Cont.....

Megs5384

Asked by Megs5384 at 1:41 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not overly concerned yet and I'm waiting to see if it's just a little of yesterdays rash that hasn't gone away yet. But I'm curious about what symptoms other kids have had that turned out to be TT. My fiance and his other boys were older when theirs was diagnosed.
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 1:43 PM on May. 7, 2010

• testicular torsion is VERY painful b/c of the cut off of blood supply and such. and it doesn't take long to know.

maybe he's got an infection going on in there?
    Anonymous

• If he had torsion you would KNOW... it's beyond painful, he would be screaming his little head off. it happens most often in teenage boys... not toddlers.
    He might have a little infection though... keep putting on diaper cream and keep an eye on it... if there is any open sores put on some antibiotic ointment.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:02 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Thanks ladies. That's what I was thinking- that it would be really painful. But when my fiance said that it ran in his family, for some reason it got me all worried. Things we're looking a little better at the second diaper change. He let me wipe him so that was an improvement. But then he had another poopy diaper that he didn't tell me about. We were at a friends house babysitting her kids so he was off in the bedroom playing. Normally he comes and tells me so I'm not used to having to check all the time. Guess I'll have to keep a closer eye on him. Anyway, he's a little more sore again, but they weren't as hard this time so I'm thinking he's fine. Wow... as I'm typing I was just thinking this is way TMI!!! lol.. I would have never had this conversations so easily before having kids! Such fun being a mom, huh?!?
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 7:51 PM on May. 7, 2010