How do parents describe the way their children's tantrums affect them (the parents)?

Most of the parents say that they are not affected by their children's tantrums. But for some including me when my son has a tantrum specially in public I wish the earth would swallow me right that moment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on May. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• haha, ugh I feel the same way. I am usually soooo embarassed by it and my daughter is only 1 years old, definitely not capable of 'regulating her own behavior' so to speak. I just feel like everyone is staring at us when she does this and like people are looking at me thinking I'm a bad parent. Childless people DO NOT understand that toddlers and infants cannot be punished like an older kid can, so even though you may have a baby who is crying or screaming, you are looked at as a bad parent.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:18 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Oh yeah! I hear ya!! Me too (sometimes) My worst ones come from my developmentallydelayed daughter. People don't understand that she is still just a "baby" and since she can't speak, she throws a hum-dinger of a fit when she can't tell us what she wants/needs. It could be anything from a sharp object is poking her, to a belly ache, to her being mad about not getting a drink or snack she saw someone else have. Its rough and at times I do wish the ground would open up and swallow us (but deliver us at home or something!! LOL)

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:53 PM on May. 7, 2010

• tantrums from my kids make me absolutely bonkers... i feel soooo bad for them, yet feel bad for myself as well. my 4 year old has issues stemming from family situation. she has tantrums that turn into rages where she blacks out. we are divorced. it was NOT a good relationship, and my girls are SO much better off with us being apart.. unfortunately, my 4yo had this problem before we divorced. her father is the same way, so its either genetic or learned.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 1:56 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I hear you! I once had a child throw a tantrum in public and as I was carrying her out to the car an adult approached me, took my childs side (she wouldn't be so upset if I were a good mom), and threatened to call social services on me!
    Anonymous

• I hear you! My son (2yrs old) had a tantrum after I said no to a bag of candies at the store. He was so upset that he throw himself on the floor and hit his head. I was waiting for someone to call social services. I could not take out of my mind the sound his back of his head made when it hit the floor. I wanted to die right there.
    Anonymous

• yeah... I understand. My son had that problem.... I whip his butt ( or spank his bottom, for those who don't understand). For those who don't agree with spankings or whippin (however you want to call it) find a different method! I don't judge you and your disciplined actions so don't come at me with you disagreements! My son isn't a bad kid. He caught on real quick and don't act a fool in public. If your kids are 2 and younger don't beat them as if the are run away slaves there is a difference between whippins and beatings!
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 2:11 PM on May. 7, 2010

• if it's hunger pain or a diaper issue then as a mother you should know when to feed or let them know that you are gonna get something to eat real soon. If it's a want, like a toy or candy or juice and you told them no.... Stick by your word! Be a parent what you say goes! That's why half of these kids are shootin schools and killing parents! Woman up.
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 2:18 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Yes! When in public I feel like ALL EYES ARE ON ME and judging me as a bad parent if my child has a melt down. I always stick to me guns and follow through, but it doesn't take away the embarrassed feeling! I think that is what your post is about right? The way you feel when your child is the one?

At home, I could care less and can totally tune out a temper tantrum. "You want to throw yourself on the floor and scream, fine! I'll just step over you and carry on with what ever I have to do at that moment!" After a while my kids give up and get over it!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:36 PM on May. 7, 2010

• "Stick by your word! Be a parent what you say goes! That's why half of these kids are shootin schools and killing parents! Woman up."

I knew someone would come along and give this overly judgmental response. I guess she never feels embarrassedwhen her child acts out in public. OR, her child has never acted out in public. How lucky is that?? Whether you "do the right thing" to handle it or not, it is still embarrassing when it happens!

Anonymous

Ummm...this is a bit of an overstatement, don't you think? Half of kids are hardly shooting up schools and killing parents. What's funny about this issue is that people want you to teach your kids not to tantrum in public, but then when you do put your foot down and try to let them work through it, they want you to remove your child or give in so that they don't have to listen to the whining and crying. My son is delayed and hates going into stores, but I have to go sometimes with him. If he starts crying and I take him outside, he's getting what he wants and therefore will keep doing it everytime. So it's really hard to know what to do sometimes...so yes, I feel your pain OP. It is embarassing and uncomfortable, especially when people are shooting daggers with their eyes at you.
    Anonymous