When did you make the transition from carseat to booster?

My daughter is 3 3/4 years old. She still is in the carseat. But, she doesn't like the 5 point harness. Seriously I have the belts so you wouldn't think that she would be able to pull her arms out of them. Well guess what, she can and it makes me nervous. So I bought a booster off from a store website. I got it today and the box says 40lbs and up. And on the internet kmart site is says 30lbs. So I thought it would be safe for her to ride. I am going to try her in it before she gets in it to ride in it. I am going to also make sure the belt is on her tight enough. So I am looking for some serious inquiries only about when you transitioned child to booster? Thanks!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Go by the weight it says on the box.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 2:14 PM on May. 7, 2010

• My carseat which turns into booster says to use the 5-point harnest until 40lbs. My son is 4 1/2 and 32lbs (he is small for his age). We will use the 5 point harness until he is to small for it so atleast 40lbs. It is safe than just using the booster seat option.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 2:14 PM on May. 7, 2010

• @4 yrs old
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:14 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I would go with the higher weight just to be safe. You can never be too careful when it comes to your child's safety.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 2:15 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I transition them when they are too big for the 5 point harness (which is usually beyond the state law minimums) I think at 3, she is not legally old enough but you'll have to check your state guidelines for that.

My concern would be that she will do the same thing with the regular seat belt and that would not be a good thing!! If she doesn't leave the seat belt where it is supposed to be and you have an accident, she could be seriously hurt.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:17 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I would go to your local police department and have them look at the sit and your child and see what they have to say. I would call them first because different states have different places they may do it at. My state is the p[olice station, fire department and red cross.
    Anonymous

• Not yet i plan to keep them in a 5 point harness for a while my dd is also 3 1/2 and ill be damm if at this age or even at 4 i put her in a booster. today she is getting a new carseat so she can be harness longer.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:19 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I dont know the laws.. DD is 3.5 & Im not even close to thinking about putting her in a booster seat. .. My neice is 5 & still is put in a 5pnt... I think as long as its safe & she can fit I will put dd in a 5pnt. :o)
    Im her mother so she better not think about ever unbuckling or she will get into trouble
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:42 PM on May. 7, 2010

• My oldest was four and half, when he hit 40lbs. My second was almost 6, and he was well over 40lbs. but his 5pt. harness seat went to 65lbs. It is safer to keep them in a 5pt. harness as long as you can. She should be old enough where you can explain to her the seriousness of staying safe in the car. If she doesn't stay in her seat properly, then there should be consequences.

According to safety experts, 4yrs. old and at least 40lbs. are the bare minimum for switching from the 5pt. harness seat to a booster seat. Once you do make the switch, you should look at getting a highback booster rather than just a backless booster seat.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 3:54 PM on May. 7, 2010

• My older two kids went to a bosster at age 3 but they were both big and tall for their age. My baby is 2 and she will not be in a booster for a long while she is small so I will keep her in this one till at leaste 4.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on May. 9, 2010