long story

My son has been having problems with vomiting and diarreah (sp?) So I called the Dr and they put him on gentlease formula for a few days. It was getting alittle better but not gone. So they switched him to Soy Formula and the vomiting has stopped but now he has been constipated for 3 days!! He is sooo gassy, I have been using Mylicon Drops which the Dr says is fine. The Dr told me not to worry about him being constipated but he is SOOO miserable and is constantly pushing. He is 5 weeks old today and we have tried giving him alittle water, and after talking to my Aunt who is a nurse she told me to try glycerin supository. We did less then half and he still hasn't gone. We really don't know what else to do. Has anyone else ever had this problem, if so what did you do??? Thank you in advance for the help!

MommytoBe987

Asked by MommytoBe987 at 2:08 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had this same exact problem. Take him off of the soy, the constipation will only get worse. He probably has infant GERD or infant acid reflux. That could be why he is "throwing up" Try elevating him at all times instead of laying him down flat. Also talk to your doctor about Infant GERD. My daughter got on medicine and was fine after!
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 2:11 PM on May. 7, 2010

• My DD has been in this situation when she was a baby and my doctor told me to give her kero sryup 1/2 tsp in her bottle and with in 8 hours she will go and she did.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:14 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I don't think it's the Soy that's causing the constipation. I think that since he's been vomiting and having diarrhea his body is cleaned out for now. It's normal to take a while before he has to go again. My kids didn't poop every day. My son went every 4-5 days at that age. He was on half Breast milk half formula. Just wait it out. Try a warm bath.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:16 PM on May. 7, 2010

• If you don't have Kero syrup, regular pancake syrup works too.
    Anonymous

• No Karo or pancake syrup. Botulism risk.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:23 PM on May. 7, 2010

• He is 5 weeks old and has been on different formulas :/ let his little body adjust to ONE before thinking it doesn't work and switching.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 2:24 PM on May. 7, 2010

• His little body is just getting used to the different formulas. Give it a some time, which is hard to do. But his digestive system is very, very immature. The slightest thing could upset its balance.

One pp mentioned reflux, or GERD. It is possible that your child has it, but it could also not be true GERD, but a dairy intolerance. My boys had both. No medicine in the world helped them until dairy was out of their (and my) diet. So just keep it in mind.

Hope the little one feels better soon!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:30 PM on May. 7, 2010