How important is it to wait til 1 to pit my child in a foward facing seat? He's 11 months. Is it too soon?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you feel that your child is to big to be rear facing then turn him/her around. I turned my DD forward when she was 11 months old cause she was to tall and her feet were beyond hitting the back of the seat.
    Anonymous

• This question is going to cause a lot of drama!
    Anonymous

• if he holds his head up well then you can put him or her in the facing forward carseats. My son had to get one when he was eleven months 

christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 2:26 PM on May. 7, 2010

• If she is to large for an infant carrier there are larger re-facing car seats. 11 months is to young.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 2:27 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Go watch some crash test footage of forward facing and rear facing carseats. You'll keep your little one in a rear facing as long as you can! Scary stuff right there.....
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 2:30 PM on May. 7, 2010

• my son was also too long for those smaller carseats.... My lil cousin was 8 months in a facing forward carseat his doctor said as long as he was holding his head up by himself and doing it very proficiently that he is ready. My cousins son was 25 pounds and kept getting stuck in his lil carseat. Lol. So as long as he or she is a good weight and length, and could hold their head up you should be ok.
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 2:32 PM on May. 7, 2010

• size and weight have nothing to do with bone ossification

every step up in seat is a step down in safety. It is not dangerous for their feet to touch the back of the seat.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:36 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I put my son forward facing at about that age and it makes it so much easier. If you want to watch the videos of crash testing using forward and rear facing car seats, by all means go for it, but it isn't going to help you because eventually you DO have to put them forward facing.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 2:38 PM on May. 7, 2010

• breaking your kids legs is not my idea of keeping my kids safe! I agree ask the fir department. My children was in a facing forward carseat at eleven months
    Anonymous

• The guidelines for car seat safty are set by statistics of infant survival in car accidents. I'd be inclined to follow the guidelines to give my child the best chance of survival in an accident.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 2:45 PM on May. 7, 2010