VBAC rights stricken from women in FL state!

I'm pregnant now and really want to at least try for a VBAC, but the only doctor in Lee County that will perform them is Dr. George. I don't know if he accepts my insurance and to be quite honest I don't want to be stuck in a hospital and forced to have drugs that I don't want. I know that I'm supposed to have options and be in control, but we all know that once you're hooked up to an I.V. they'll do what ever they can to convince you to take the pitocin and blah blah... I just found out that recently they made an entire ban on C-sections state wide by midwifes inside a birthing center. I feel this is an intrusion on women's basic rights and I'm upset. There is no scientific or medical statistical evidence that proves that VBAC is an inferior delivery method. Nothing supports the decision for the Ban. I've done some research and have found that there are, in fact, studies that prove opposite to popular belief that VBAC's pe

momofkearra

Asked by momofkearra at 2:40 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Health

• PART II: .... I've done some research and have found that there are, in fact, studies that prove opposite to popular belief that VBAC's performed inside a birthing center are more successful than VBAC's performed inside a hospital setting...mainly due to miidwifery practices that are more natural and allow for laboring without introduction to labor altering or inducing drugs. If you have any info. or if you're willing to help me fight for women's ability to VBAC in a birthing center or at home with a certified midwife please let me know.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 2:40 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Actually it's illegal and unethical for a nurse or doc to try to push meds on you. They are supposed to give you the pros/cons about it all. Not saying it doesn't happen, though. The only reasoning I can think of that they would ban c-sections in a midwifery/birthing center is due to germs. Lots of those birthing centers aren't regulated the way they should be. They don't necessarily have administrators and medical coordinators like hospitals do. I'm all for VBAC but only if the woman is healthy enough for it. So many women think they're healthy enough to have one and may even refuse another c-section. There was a case here in VA of a woman who refused a c-section after 1 twin was born vaginally and the other was stuck. The baby ended up dying. My point is that you should always do what's best for your child, not yourself. So many moms have a dream of a "perfect birth", and whether it's a c-section
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 2:54 PM on May. 7, 2010

• ...or vaginal birth... none of us really get EVERYTHING we wanted... except for our children. Find a dr who is caring, competent, and will accomodate you as much as he/she possibly can, but realize that they're there for a reason... they have a medical degree and you don't. Sometimes they DO know what's in the best interest of your health.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 2:56 PM on May. 7, 2010

• SO SORRY It is supposed to read ban on VBAC not C-section... There is a statewide ban on VBAC in birthing centers and by midwifes in Florida. Please excuse my typo!
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 3:01 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I'm glad you clarified your typo, b/c I was going to respond to let you know that it wasn't a ban, that it's just not allowed for midwives to perform a c-section, as it's major surgery and they are not trained. As for the rest, you just need to stick to your guns and tell them what you want, but also remember that they are trying to do what is best for the health of you and your baby, so don't dismiss them out of hand, either. Listen to what they want you do, ask why, ask more questions, make informed decisions, whether it's to go with what you want or what they want.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:59 PM on May. 7, 2010

• My problem with banning VBAC's all together in birthing centers and at many of the hospitals state-wide is that they are pushing women to do home births with a midwife or unassisted due to the fact that they can't legally be performed in birthing centers with a certified midwife. There is no statistical and/or medical evidence that proves that VBAC is a dangerous procedure. Many of the studies that have been conducted have shown very successful VBAC rates in birthing centers compared to a hospital setting. They have also shown that doctors are failing to inform their patients of the serious risks and complications from repeat Cesereans. Many women are often quoted statistics for uterine rupture that are falsely high and are pushed to believe that rupture is risk enough to have another c-section. Unfortunately C-sections do not reduce the risk of uterine rupture before labor and they open you up to many other risks...
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 12:03 PM on May. 13, 2010

• If there is no medical reason for preventing a woman from having a trial of labor after a previous C-section than why are they banning it? If a doctor isn't capable of handling a situation such as partial or complete uterine rupture during labor and delivery than why would he/she be worthy of attending such a situation? The reality is that the percentage of women who suffer from complete uterine rupture, which involves spontaneous rupture of the uterine wall, is highest among women who have not had any previous uterine surgery. This means that C-sections are not linked to complete uterine rupture and they are not cause for concern when evaluating a trial of labor. Partial uterine rupture is most common in uteri with previous surgery and scar tissue... This is where the uterus breaks open in a smaller section where the scar from surgery is located. It can be serious, but is much less life threatening than a complete rupture.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 12:08 PM on May. 13, 2010

• i seen dr george yestarday. he told me that they will NOT use any pitocin for any reason even if i am the one requesting it. pain meds thats different but in the cape coral hospital you have to sign the epidural paper work weeks before you go into labor so if your in labor and have not signed. they wont give it to you. I'm going to go for a vbac with him!!!! Hope it works out for us!!!
    CubaRican720

Answer by CubaRican720 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Can someone tell me who this dr.george is or contact info ...I'm having my second and really really want a vbac??
    Sarahslr247

Answer by Sarahslr247 at 10:37 PM on May. 29, 2012