I've changed my kids' routine...and it's all screwed up!!

My DD is 2 1/2 years old, and my DS is just about 11 months. Their old routine was, they'd wake up at about 9:30am take a nap from about 2 - 4pm. Then they'd go to bed at 8:30pm. Now...hubby got a new job, so he's up bright and early...and I get up with him...so the kids are up between 5:30-6am. My youngest is tired by 10am, but my oldest isn't tired til about 1pm. My question is...what is a reasonable nap time for them both when they get up at 6am and go to bed at 7:30pm.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on May. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I had kids those EXACT ages and they even had the same wake-up and bed times. Our little one went down for a first nap around 8 or 8:30 am and they both went down for an afternoon nap around 1 or 1:30. It worked great. I agree, 11 months is pretty young for just one nap (though my first dropped a nap at that age, it was a struggle in over-tired land for awhile). Even if you don't think the little one is tired after just 2 or 2.5 hours of awake time in the morning, try it, you might be surprised. And if you want, you can cut the morning nap off after an hour or hour and a half so that you still have time to get out of the house for awhile before lunch time. This schedule worked great for us and gave me a little extra one-on-one time with my big girl. And whenever you try a new thing, you have to give it a week or so before you know whether it works or not.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:13 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I would put them to bed between 12-12:30 that's when my DD goes down for a nap. The 11 month old might need two naps if he's getting up at 5:30.. that's a lot for a kid under 1.. :(
    Anonymous

• Thanks EmilySusan. Great advice =)
    Anonymous