Medical Malpractice or Horror Story?

Ladies, I'd like to hear all of the stories where you have been mistreated, misdiagnosed, injured, caused emotional pain and suffering, etc... by the medical field.
I hear often people saying that doctors know best because they have a medical degree and I do not, however I have had several instances in my life where I've been mistreated and harmed by doctors and medical staff making serious and potentially life threatening mistakes. After doing some research online I've found several pieces of information that have left me infuriated because the knowledge obtained informed me that the choices made were, in fact, inaccurate and wrong. Those choices are what led to my initial c-section, second c-section, second jaw surgery, and severe anxiety / depression/ and post traumatic stress syndrome... So... Enlighten us... what has happened to you?

momofkearra

Asked by momofkearra at 3:06 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Health

• Didn't happen to me but if my mother had listened to the doctor when he told her my older brother could "live a normal life" with his blood disorder and not found a way to get his spleen removed, he would probably still be sitting on my parent's couch, barely moving, not going anywhere or doing anything instead of finishing a stint in the military and capable of going to school, finishing his degree, getting a job, etc. My great grandfather died from congestive organ failure because his blood issues were never treated; I am so glad that didn't happen to my brother. My two younger brothers got their spleens out not long after my older brother. All of them had very enlarged spleens. All because a gp didn't do enough research on a rare variation of a blood disorder. Not a horror story, but a bullet dodged. Most doctors here are better than that, though. This one is just not inclined to keep up with medical advances.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:48 PM on May. 7, 2010

• At the beginning of April, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer. My gynecologist referred me to a doctor at the local hospital but I decided to get a 2nd opinion at a well renown cancer center here in the Detroit area. After waiting hours to see the doctor, sitting there half naked under a sheet, the doctor came in, didn't introduce himself, and told me that my doctor was overreacting, I was fine. I needed to stop smoking, I don't smoke! I needed to have safe sex, I've been with my SO for 8 years. He said that most women in their late 20's should get the HPV shot, so even at my age I should get the shot. Then he looked at me and asked "How old are you?" I yelled "37!!" "OH, I thought you were younger." I filled out a packet and on the front page was age!!! I put 37. He didn't even have to do the math!! I walked out of there so confused and yelling and calling him a jackass! Con.......
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:20 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I did have cervical cancer and just had a radical hysterectomy and will need a little radaition as precaution. I went to doctor that my gyno referred me to and he showed me the report that said cancer. He said if I would have listened to the jackass, I would be dead.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:22 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Last spring my youngest had a fever and a cough that would not go away. Normally with colds I let them run their course but when he was having trouble breathing when he slept and was spiking at 104-105 I had enough and took him in (monday). The doctor told me that he had croup and it would pass but if he developed diarreah take him to the ER and to just keep giving him motrin. Well I went home and since I knew nothing about croup . Well everything I read what my son had was not croup. Well he went to the ER (Tues)cause he developed diarreah and the docs there told me croup too and no one listened to my objections. Well finally on Thursday he was trying to laydown and sleep in the bathtub water and all. I said enough I called the doc and told them I was coming in and wasn't leaving till they figured out what was wrong. Get to the docs they end up rushing us by ambulance to the children's hospital where he spent a week in the ..
    CelticMom82

Answer by CelticMom82 at 8:13 PM on May. 7, 2010

• PICU because his lungs were shutting down. The PICU doctor was livid because you could hear and see in the chest xray that had been taken earlier in the week that his lungs were swelling shut. My youngest is fine today though we have to watch any colds he catches and there is a slight chance he may develop asthma due to everything. But the PICU doc told me had I waited any longer (like a couple hours) my youngest would have been either dead or on lifesupport due to suffocation. Least to say I changed docs.
    CelticMom82

Answer by CelticMom82 at 8:16 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Oh my ladies! Thank you so much for sharing! I've had some crazy things happen in my lifetime and sometimes I honestly believe that the doctors don't know best. Most of the time they can be trusted to make a simple diagnosis and follow up treatment for anything that is typically found in our society, but God forbid you present with something that is considered rare and they fail to find it. I always do my research now. Of course, this makes me sound like a freak, but hey, my life and my family is more important than blind faith in any individual; degree or not.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 11:56 AM on May. 13, 2010