typical home daycare hours

Do you think it too inconvienient for a home daycare hours to be 7 - 5?? My children's after school program is a 5:00 pick-up. What are your thoughts?

amystephan

Asked by amystephan at 3:14 PM on May. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• that is an insane pickup time, most working parents work till at least 5!

peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:18 PM on May. 7, 2010

• My daycare is open until 5:30. It would depend on your clients. If most of the mothers were teachers it would be fine. I personally would need you to be open later. I have to rush like crazy to get there at 5:30.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:19 PM on May. 7, 2010

• My son's home day care is from 7am-5pm. If I ever decide to work full time I'd have to move him, which would suck, because I'd probably be working from 8am-5pm. There are kids in his daycare who's parents work full time though...they just have to rotate picking up and dropping off which I guess I'd have to do with my husband as well. Personally, I'd at least do 7am-6pm.
    Anonymous

• Our daycare is only 7-5.... it's not a problem for us.... so it might be a problem for some families but if you state your hours to start with then they just won't choose you as their provider.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:31 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I don't think you will get too many takers if you require them to be there until 5. A better option would be to get a ride option for your kids.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:15 PM on May. 7, 2010

• My home daycare is open from 6:30 to 4:30. It works perfectly for me. Centers are the places to be open longer, like until 6:30.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:39 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I do home day care and I start as early as 6 am and have done care right til 11 pm, even over night. Mind you I state in my ad that I do shift work, over nights and weekends. It depends on the home I guess.
    Anonymous

You rock!! It's really hard to find daycares when you are on 2nd or 3rd shift. I had an awesome daycare lady when I was working 2nd shift!! Sometimes you can't get onto 1st shift until you've been there awhile.
    Anonymous