Lactose Intolerance

As an adult and you have cheese or milk etc., what happens? I have been on a veggie / protein diet for a month and I just had a sandwich with lots of cheese and I was instantly in pain in my stomache - our son is lactose intolerant and he's 2-1/2 and I am starting to wonder if I am also..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I became lactose intolerant when pregnant with my son. He was lactose intolerant when born, which he now seems to have outgrown. I was so bad all dairy would just run right through me. Now, I can tolerate some cheese, milk in small amounts, and I can eat yogurt fine. I love chocolate ice cream though...and no matter the repercussions, I EAT IT!
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 4:37 PM on May. 7, 2010

• could be... it can develop... but i wouldnt base it one one experience. if it happens often with dairy, probably so.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 3:29 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Personally I can handle processed items like cheese and yogurt much better than milk or ice cream. The side effects that I have of too much dairy is generally gas, diarrhea, and intestinal cramping. It kind of sucks. I can handle milk in small amounts, like in cereal. But I try to avoid drinking a big glass of it or having a chocolate shake. That is, unless I am craving it so much that I feel like dealing with the consequences. lol
    Mary229

Answer by Mary229 at 3:31 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Some people just get gassy, I get diarrhea with in 20 minutes of eating anything with lactose, whey or casine. My daughter is not quite as sensitive as I am and she usually just gets gas and stomach pains.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:32 PM on May. 7, 2010

• For me, I get gassy, REALLY gassy. It hurts in my belly and then stinks up the room. I try to only eat dairy at home, for the sake of others.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:32 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Some people with lactose intollerance can eat a little milk products, some can't eat any at all.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:35 PM on May. 7, 2010