Honey and Babies

I talked to my daughter today and she told me that her husband was putting honey in their 6 month old daughters cereal. I know your not supposed to feed babies honey but I can't remember why. Could anyone please tell me so I can let her know?
thanks

CKasting

Asked by CKasting at 3:42 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honey is a known source of bacterial spores that produce Clostridium botulinum bacteria. When ingested by infants, these bacteria make a toxin that can cause infant botulism, a rare and serious form of food poisoning. For this reason, infants under 12 months of age should never be fed honey.

Infant botulism affects a baby's nervous system and can result in death. Most babies with infant botulism, however, do recover. Signs and symptoms of infant botulism include:

â– Persistent constipation
    â– Floppy arms, legs and neck
    â– Weak cry due to muscle weakness
    â– Weak sucking and poor feeding
    â– Tired all the time (lethargy)
    â– Difficulty breathing
    Botulism spores may also be found in low-acid home-canned foods and corn syrup. For this reason, you should avoid feeding these foods to infants.

From the website http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/infant-botulism/hq00854
    Mary229

Answer by Mary229 at 3:46 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I heard that it can cause brain damage in babies under a year. It even says on the honey bottles to not give it to babies under 12 months old.
    Anonymous

• Thank you I just let my daughter know.
    CKasting

Answer by CKasting at 3:45 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I think its called like Reye Syndrome and yes it can be deadly. I just recently gave my 2 yr old honey..I am a little protective so we sat on it a whole another yr. A freiend of mine would not let her kids have honey till age 5!
    Anonymous

• It's botulism. Babies under 12 mo can't have honey because of the risk of botulism. It can be deadly. It's worse for formula fed babies.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:47 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Thank you so much for all your answers. You guys are awesome..
    CKasting

Answer by CKasting at 3:51 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Babies and young children aren't supposed to take aspirin because of the risk of Reye's Syndrome. There is no reason to not let children over 1 have honey.

People can over react and do things like not let their child not have honey until they are 5. There is no evidence that there is any reason to do this. Yet the same person may not follow important health recommendations for their children like breastfeed until they are at least 2. Of course they will have excuses. I could be wrong about this specific person.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:53 PM on May. 7, 2010