Do you think the word "love" is used too loosely on here sometimes?

I think the love I had for my husband was nothing until we were married and had made hard choices and fought for it. I also think the longer we're together, the more I'll love and understand love. When I hear someone talking about "loving" some person they just met or even someone they've been with a short time, or "loving" more than one person, or "loving" someone at work and no their husband.... I kind of want to raspberry them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• YES!!! The word is used so loosely...but then again, when someone has never experienced "real love" they take whatever they feel and mistake it for the real thing...I know for myself that to love someone does not mean that I have to put aside myself or disrespect myself to recieve their "so called" love in return...I know with love.. I can love my husband with my eyes and heart wide opened and not worry about tomorrow. I know that he loves me...we sacrafice for each other. He puts me above all others and I never question his loyatly to me and vice versa. When he walks out the house to go somewhere, I don't have to call him 100 times to see where he is or worry about who he's with...I can talk with my husband about anything and not worry about him judging me or calling me names, putting me down or being negative in any way...I can depend on his word without giving it a second thought....
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:26 PM on May. 7, 2010

• yes, I think people use the term way to loosely in general. After being married 6 years and having 2 children I have realized what real love is. Its not the puppy love infatuation that most people seem to think love is.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 4:07 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I agree with laciD people use it way to loosely in general whether it is to friends they have known a week or to some one they aren't even dating yet.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 4:13 PM on May. 7, 2010

• no one gets to define love for anyone else, even if we have a deeper understanding, even if we know that the "love" is causing harm to another. the involved people get to decide for themselves. it's about life experience. teenagers can be in love and it be real, although that love is quite different from what we experience as mature adults with more life experience. generally my problem with the use of the word "love" is that people use this to describe a feeling (and no one can define another's feelings), when really love is a verb.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:35 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I think a lot of people misunderstand infatuation, puppy love, and the-like for true full blown love. A lot of people are ignorant to what love is and whether they love someone or not. It's most common found in children and teenagers, but it does happen in adults. People want it and they think they have it with the first person they have. It's a natural want, but unfortunately a lot of the times it's not really something they have when they think they do.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:45 PM on May. 7, 2010

• In mu opinion there is being in love and loving someone. They are different but both very real feelings.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 4:50 PM on May. 7, 2010

• In one way, I do agree with you, but in another I don't. I knew on our second date that I loved him, and was in love with him. What he and I share is very real, and very different from anything I ever felt before. I do think that love has grown stronger the longer we have been together, and will continue to grow stronger for the rest of our lives. But I also know that I had other relationships before him where love never came up, or where the other person felt it but I didn't. I do think some people overuse it, apply it to everything or just plain don't really know what it means. But then..who am I to tell them what they do or don't feel? I may think they're clueless, but since I'm not them, I could be wrong. I tend to just ignore the ones that I think are using it too loosely or in a situation I don't agree with, since I don't feel I can judge them (not saying you are judging).
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:55 PM on May. 7, 2010

• yes

Answer by admckenzie at 6:28 PM on May. 7, 2010