What can you use ssi on?

My autistic son was just approved for ssi benefits.I was just wondering what type of things we can use it for.Gas,household bills,food?Could we also use it to replace a window he broke?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on May. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Anything that is for the child, or his benefit. So - yes, rent/mortgage, food, his clothing, gas, window he broke, etc. You just have to sign a paper (I think it's yearly?) saying that you have used all of the ssi on him. I always just put my son's SSI in my regular bank account - I spent way more on my son than the amount he ever got in SSI, so I didn't feel like there was anything wrong with it.

Answer by missanc at 4:21 PM on May. 7, 2010

• He was approved for SSI, so it's anything for HIS benefit. Special schooling, teaching aids, daycare if needed, etc.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:40 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Isn't it cash? I think once you are approved, you can do whatever you want with it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:48 PM on May. 10, 2010