child trailer for adult bike or child seat on the bike

The kind that holds two children sitting side-by-side... do you have one? If so, how hard is it to ride your bike pulling two children? (I'm wondering if I would be able to use it myself or just my husband). How about the single child seats that attach to the adult bike? I have a 3 year-old and 20 month-old, and we're trying to figure out the best way to go on family bike rides. We're also trying to figure out what's the best investment -- for something that we'll use for more than just one summer! Thanks!

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 4:24 PM on May. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• We have one, but I've truthfully never tried it - my husband always pulls our son behind him. We only have a 17 month old now (plus 8, 10, and 12 year olds that ride their own bike), but I'm due in July and my husband saw one for a good price several months ago so he went ahead and picked it up. It doesn't seem to slow my husband down though, but he's an avid biker! I have used a single child seat on my bike for my 17 month old up until a couple months ago. It wasn't difficult, but he's little (22 lbs) and I'm not sure if I would feel as comfortable if I had a larger 3 year old in that seat.

Answer by missanc at 4:30 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I had the trailer and loved it!! It was my only form of transportation (seriously) besides the city bus when we lived in FL. I would take my daughter every where ..and since it holds up to 100 pounds I would put other stuff in there with her ...like our beach stuff for when we'd go to the beach. I have seen them used, but in great condition, at child consignment shops too.
    Anonymous

• I had the trailer and LOVED it!! And it is far safer than the bike seat because if I fell, it was just the bike and me and not the trailer and not the kid in the seat.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:30 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I pulled two toddlers the other day (15 mos and 18 mos), and it was hard! A great workout! With a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old, you might want to have the hubby do the pulling if you are a smaller build.
    Anonymous