powdered milk ?

I was given a container of powdered milk and was wondering how to use it? I tried to make it just for drinking and it was nasty, so before it gets thrown out I was hoping someone would have some suggestions of how to use it.

mom-2-4boys

Asked by mom-2-4boys at 4:49 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I make bread and many bread machine recipes call for powdered milk.

Make hot cocoa mix with it, adding cocoa, powdered sugar, and a bit of cinnamon. (I've got a recipe if you want it.)

You can make it up and use it in cake recipes.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:04 PM on May. 7, 2010

• My daughter's 2nd grade class made milk bath for the Mothers for Mother's Day. They included the ingredients but not the amounts (maybe you could Google it).

Dry powdered milk
    epsom salts
    sea salt
    corn starch (you could probably substitute oatmeal and run it through the food processor)
    lavender oils

I haven't used mine yet but the lavender oils in it smell soooo good!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:03 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I wait till the real milk is half gone then I mix it with powdered milk and evaporated milk and water and let them use chocolate in it I only do it when I am about two days away from payday.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 8:47 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Use it to cook, or for cereal, anything except straight drinking. I know someone who mixes it half & half with regular milk - she pours out half the gallon into an empty jug, mixes up a gallone of powdered, splits that between the two half gallons, and her family drinks it like that - they have no clue, she says. I've never tasted powdered milk personally. But I'd use it for other milk uses.
    Anonymous

• --- michiganmom116 --- If you don't mind I would love to have the recipe for the hot cocoa, if you would like to share
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 12:14 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Hot Cocoa Mix
    4 c. powdered milk
    2 c. granulated sugar (sorry, thought it was powdered, that was another recipe)
    1/2 c. baking cocoa
    pinch of salt
    2 shakes ground cinnamon
    Sift together. Use 2 to 4 Tbsp. of mix in 1 cup hot water. Stir well.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:34 AM on May. 8, 2010