just curious does 5,000 for total tuition and books for a 1 yr program sound reasonable?

thats the rough estimate the college gave me for all 4 quarters for pharmacy tech program.

AND
im not holding my breath on getting any grants...how much should i borrow in student loans to make sure i have enough to cover everything without gettin to far in debt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• i heard you didn't need to go to school to be that and have a friend that is going to school after he found out that schooling wasn't a must. i don't know how it worked for this guy to get in it without the schooling so i guess i'm no help to you unless you had or knew a tech and ask how they got into it. also i think it's reasonable. i went to aesthetics for 600 hrs and paid that same amount. although i got help from rotary club and a grant that i didn't have to pay back. so in the end it didn't cost me anything
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:18 PM on May. 7, 2010

• i paid a little more than twice that for a 14-month graphic design school and think it was well worth it. does your school offer job placement assistance, and what is their success rate? you may be eligible for a small pell grant. the school should help you complete all the paperwork for financial aid - mine did - they helped me understand all my options and get everything completed. good luck!
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:56 PM on May. 7, 2010

• try not to get a student loan! i did and regret it sooo bad! i took one out for $3000 and at first it said I had to pay back $9000 and that sucked. Then a couple of months ago they sent a letter saying they changed banks and it jumped up to $11,000. Unless your for sure nothing will get in the way of you doing a repayment plan then i guess, but interest sucks. I got sooo lucky and my dad payed it off for me, but i will never get a student loan for anything again. I rather wait till I have the money to pay upfront.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 5:01 PM on May. 7, 2010

• i pay 9000 for medical billing and coding classes not including my books...wow ur lucky tha tis good
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 5:05 PM on May. 7, 2010

• op here

they have a 90% rate of gettin jobs after and they dont help with finding job placement, but thats fine cause from what i seen on the local want ads they are always needing pharmacy techs. i used to work in pharmacy in high school as a job shadow kinda thing and the pharmacist taught me billing programs the hospital used and had me fill prescriptions..she only doubled checked the scrpits the first week, after she seen i was able to follow orders i was on my own, and i have been a med aide for the past 10 years, one job required me to work directly with the pharmacist, i have the experience and the know how just not that piece of paper saying i can
    Anonymous

• i think so... for a whole program, with books.
    It's almost $100 per credit hour at the CC here... and if you take say, 30 hours to get your degree, then the other money would go toward the books. Pretty average. PLUS, you can always sell back books and use that money for your next round of books.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 5:20 PM on May. 7, 2010

• op here

its $48 per credit hr for in-state tuition
    Anonymous

• that sounds very expensive!
    Anonymous

• I would highly recommend not borrowing anything if you can. If you have to borrow, only borrow what you NEED, not what you want. Can you buy textbooks cheaper somewhere besides their bookstore? Probably. Never borrow money to pay for your livign expenses, only the tuition. If you can come up with even $500 or $1000 to offset the cost, then do it!
    Anonymous

• thats what my 2 yr program cost....I think I would not pay that much!
    Anonymous